Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W211 '06 E55
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 W211 E55 with 26k miles....relatively new right?

Recently the transmission has not changed gears going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, 5th. It just stays in 2nd. I pull over, put the car in park, turn off the car and restart. Everything goes back to normal....changes gears ok. Has only happened first thing in the AM when car isn't warmed up and only happened two to three times.

THEN...i'm driving along, car is warmed up ie 8 miles running, and when I go to accelerate the car seems to not be in gear, the revs drop to idle and when I accelerate the revs climb but car doesnt move...like being in NEUTRAL.

I pull over, turn car off and restart....everything works fine again.

The transmission is acting up. It still seems to be slipping from 2nd to 3rd even once warmed up but only in the 2k - 3k rpm range. I thought these transmissions were bullet proof...guess not. I don't really run the car very hard....no mods either.

any ideas what can be causing the transmission problem?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
That's sounds like "limp mode". Take it and have the codes read (Aamco will read them for free) and that will perhaps get you on the right track. IIRC you still have the 5 speed; if so you can read up on it in the 722.6xx FAQ thread in the W210 section stickies.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Sounds like the TCU is acting up, they have a habit of becoming contaminated w/ transmission fluid.
Did you by chance spill anything in/around the gear selector? the control module in there does not do well when fluids are introduced.

The conductor plate in b/w the valve body and the transmission is also prone to having issues, but I'd be a bit surprised to see it acting up so early in life.

A bit of time w/ someone who is familiar with the .6 transmissions & SDS should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2000 E55 Silver
23 Posts
I had the first issue you describe with my 2000 e55 it was the conductor plate inside the tranny above the filter . Replacing it solved the problem . The only thing I could find wrong with it was some fine metalic fuzz ( looked like carbon fibers) built up on the magnets , I believe this was changing the voltage reading to the tranny sensors .
the code was 0715 (speed sensor/turbine input shaft sensor)

·
Registered
2005 E55 AMG
8 Posts
Did you guys ever find out the issue? My 2005 E55 AMG is doing the same thing. I hear a whine when approaching 2-3k rpms. I only have 78k miles. Hoping it's nothing more serious. I got 3 codes P2561, P2562, P220A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts