Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling a 2000 E55 suspension. I changed to H&R sport and blistein sport shocks.

I am selling the complete set of 4 AMG spring and 4 blistein shocks. Make me a reasonable offer. The parts are in great condition with only 39,000 miles on the supension!

Email me at [email protected] for inquiries. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Don't need the suspension - but you might try the regular W210 forum too, if you haven't already...

Also - I am considering doing the same to my 2000 E55.
Can you please share your impressions following the suspension upgrade ? Particularly - stiffness of ride with this combination of H&R and Bilstein Sports - compared to the stock arrangement. I want tighter cornering spring rates when pushing it, but don't want to lose the around town comfort the stock springs give you.

Finally - it would be great to see some side view shots of your car - I want to lower mine too, but only 3/4" - 1" MAX - some sprins slam the car too low for my personal taste. Thanks ...

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2000 Beast,

haha yea I realize most people don't need it in this forum but people with regular W210's read tihis forum also. I did post it in the W210 non-AMG forum also. But that was a funny post to start off so thanks for the comedy break.

Also, I have been meaning to post pics for a while now. I will wash and wax the car this week and post pics within a week.

As far as driving impressions....the new setup handles noticably better around corners. Before I found the back end of the car would give out around corners due to the sheer tourque of the car when pushing it hard. Now, the back end stays put and it handles really well. It is also a better look than stock. My car is probably about 1 inch lower than stock. AS far as a rough ride, I honesty dont feel there is much stiffer ride than stock at all. I was surprised about this and I would say the ride is about 5-10% siffer MAX. Well worth it if you ask me.

Pics to follow soon

Hope this helps, let me know if I can help in any other way as far as the driving impression goes.

·
Registered
2000 E55 / 2003 G500 / 2011 BMW M3
776 Posts
Cool - sounds like I am headed towards your setup too.

Two things bother me (a little) about my 2000.

(1) The car sits a tad too high,and the tires dont fill the wheelwells very well. The H&R page says to expect 1 1/2" lowering. What size spring pads did you use ? I am thinking about putting the H&R's on, and going "up" in thickness on the spring pads in order to get slightly less drop.

(2) The rear end "floats" when going over uneven pavement and pushed hard into, and particularly out of corners. I think that the stock rear shocks have too much uncontroled rebound. You say you used Bilstein "sports" - I thought that the stock //AMG suspension also used Bilstein "sports" ? Finally - did you have to use shorter shocks to accomodate the drop in ride height and suspension travel ? If so, what model # ?

Appreciate the help - as you can tell, I am just about ready to do the same to my 2000. THX !

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The H&R springs do not drop the car 1.5in. That is stated since the same springs fit the E320/E430 so the drop for those cars is 1.5inches. For the E55, with that and the blistein sport shokcs, I think the car dropped about 1 inch, maybe a little more.

I will post pictures laster this week so you can judge for yourself. In my opinion, looks really good! And the handling is quite a bit improved also. The car sticks like glue around corners now.

The stock E55 I was told did NOT have blistein sport shocks, to my surprise. I can get the part numbers for the sport shocks and post this also. So I was told I should get the blistein sports to accomadte the drop.

I am not sure what percent of the handling or drop can be attributed to just the springs or just the shocks since they were both installed at once.

I left the stock spring pads on the car but will soon change to no. 1 pads in the rear (my car had no 3 in the rear). The front I will leave since it is perfect.

So the cost....
$250 4 H&R springs
$400 4 Blistein sport shocks
$300-$400 installation
________
$1050 or so total

In my opinion, well worth it. Car looks better and handles better. The car should have come this way in my opinion!

Picturs to follow

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, finally I heard someone saying that they also have a problem with the rear going out. I thought I was the only crazy driver here but my wife drove my cars for the past few days and she thinks that the rear is weird too even though she drives really slow.

I was investigating into what Renntech is doing and I thought changing out the rear subframe may be the only way to salvage the car. It is really scary in the rain and the rear will float over uneven pavement. I thought the rear was about to come loose many times in heavy rain. I realigned the car twice to the middle of the E55 toe in spec but the improvement is very slight.

What model of bilstein sport shocks did you use? Please let us know. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I found the Bilstein sport shock for $90 each. However I cannot find a place which sell shocks and spring together so I will buy from two sites.

Any suggestions on which site has both?

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about what site would have both. I got the H&R springs from tire rack and the shocks from someone selling them on this site in the classified section. Saved about $50 over any site I was able to find.

The bilstein sport shocks should have the following part numbers:

Front: BE3-AO57-HO
Rear: BE3-AO58-HO

I was rather surprised the 1st time I drove the E55 with the back end giving out so easy in corners. That problem is now fixed with this new suspenion. Performs amazingly!

Sorry for the delay with the pictures. I am going to wax the car this week and pics will be posted then.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks GT3,

My order with the shockwarehouse is exactly what you have. I also ordered the spring from Tirerack, they have the lowest price. I have aslo found H&R sway bars (30mm front and 20mm rear). I think the front sway bar for our car is 28mm and I don't know about the rear. Do you think we need to change out the sway bar as well? I found that this car sway a little more than I expected (may be due to the soft spring more than anything else). What do you think?

By the way, I could not find the eccentric bolt (H&R tripple C) for this car. Did you have to use eccentric bolt on the shock mount to put the camber back to normal or you let the tires tilt inward?

I see most BMW has the inward tilt (negative camber). Mercedes is almost straight.

·
Registered
W210 E55,E320,C240
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i didnt elect to change the sway bars. I awnted to give the suspension a try without that first. I am very pleased with the result, so I wont change the sway bars. The sway bars are already thicker on the E55 as opposed to a non-AMG E-class.

Also, I left it with a little negative camber. A little negative camber is actually good!

I will post pics this weekend - if the weather here in boston ever allows me to wash my car!

·
Registered
2000 E55, 2002 WRX
41 Posts
Nice post guys! i am in line too for a suspension upgrade. But i have read all the good things about the shock and spring setup. Now i want to hear the bad? Does the body rub? and do you guys have aftermarket rims installed. Excuse me if you posted a link for pics, i could not view picture. I have bought a set of 19' brabus monoblocks and i am worried with having passengers it will rub to my dissatisfaction. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts