Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 model with 3000miles and dunlop sp 9000 and find that at speeds over 90 -100 the car is not rock solid. It sort of feels unstable, sort of leans back and forth slightly. When turning the steering wheel 2-3 inches either way it feels as if the body is not quite catching up with the wheel direction. The 93 500 e just seem to 'hunker down ' and I don't have that same sense of confidence in this car. Tire pressure is at manufactures 32-33 and I tried them at 34-35 with no real difference. Also the car drifts slightly to the right which the dealer said may be the 18 inch tires. The alignment is apparently normal.<br>
Anyone with similar feelings?Might michelin sport make a difference? Could suspension upgrades be really necessary?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: e55 stability -- Tire Pressure!!

Don't pay attention to the tire pressure listed on the inside of the gas tank. It will tell you the too low. My tires were too low when the car was delivered also.<br> <br> If you look inside your driver's side door jamb you will see that the recommended pressure is 41psi in the front and 48psi in the rear.<br> <br> That should make a big difference!<br> <br> I have had mine up to 100 a couple times and have felt it to be rock solid.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I routinely drive my E55 at ~120. There is a 8 mile stretch of interstate that is lightly traveled between my house and town. The car is rock solid at these speeds. I have had it up to 159 mph (limiter brought it back to 158) and it was still rock solid. I also have a 993 C4Cab that has not seen 150 mph yet (90k miles and counting). In the 140's (top down) it gets a bit hairy. The 18' tires on the E55 tend to follow ruts in the road which may be why it pulls some. On newly paved interstate the car doesn't pull at all. The tire pressure suggestion is a great one (gonna check mine tomorrow!). Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Re: e55 stability

Still on the OEM tires - Dunlop Sport 9000's I think. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts