Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below the D-/D+ of the PRND on my car there is a hole, its where the trim piece necks down into a nipple shape. I assume from the size and location of it, there's supposed to be a filler panel. Is that panel connected to the PRND panel or is it a separate piece? I haven't been able to find a decent picture to see if what is missing on my car broke off or is a separate piece of plastic.

2002 E55.

Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
That hole is there to allow "emergency" access to the interlock release if you cannot get the shifter out of park (you just poke a pen through it to hit the release, shift out of park and remove the pen).

Normally the hole is covered by a little flap and it sounds as though yours has deflected or perhaps broken off.

It's really easy to remove that cover, pop the shift knob, remove the trim ring around the shifter panel and then lift the cover out. Don't pull too fast or far as there are wires connected to it. ;)

Then you can look in better to see what is (or isn't) missing. If it's actually broken, it would be lots cheaper to just find something to put over the hole (from the inside so it's not as noticeable) than to replace the factory part, since it will be a dealer or salvage-yard item only, and probably part of something else, too. But it can't hurt to call the dealer and check. ;)

There are more details in the sticky (the one about the shifter module) with some pics as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thank you. I popped the trim off and didn't see any loose peices so its most likely completely gone. I'll fit a peice of abs on the back of the trim there to cover the gap. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Awesome. Thank you. I popped the trim off and didn't see any loose peices so its most likely completely gone. I'll fit a peice of abs on the back of the trim there to cover the gap. :thumbsup:
Just be sure you don't interfere with the movement of the trim for the shifter and you want to mount whatever you are using in a way that it will fall out if you need to use that hole for it's intended purpose. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts