1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Supra & E55 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 2001 E55 AMG!

would have done a "search" but the button doesnt seem to work! [8)]

would like to know of some basic mods to do to the car! intake and exhuast to start! what do u recomend and how much? sure i love the power she puts out stock! but im a greedy SOB and love to squeeze out some extra pony's! [:D]

lmk

thanx

Nick

·
Registered
e55
27 Posts
Nick,

Put a supercharger on it. Kleemann or HPS will work very well.

Chuck...

Nick,

Put a supercharger on it. Kleemann or HPS will work very well.

Chuck

·
Registered
Supra & E55 AMG
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHA!!

i aint THAT loaded with $$$! [:D]

just minor upgrades like intake and e...

HAHAHA!!

just minor upgrades like intake and exhuast will do for now! any recomendations?!

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
Re: HAHAHA!!i aint THAT loaded with $$$! [:D]just minor upgrades like intake and e

HAHAHA!!

just minor upgrades like intake and exhuast will do for now! any recomendations?!
Intake Upgrade Package: Ported intake manifold, ECU upgrade, cold air intake system with high flow filter. Gains are usually in the 45-50bhp range, $2,995. Increased throttle response, increased gas mileage.
http://boykinracing.us/index4.htm

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
HPS,

Your advice is well taken. BUT, we don't specialize in "mainstream" services whe...

HPS,

Your advice is well taken. BUT, we don't specialize in "mainstream" services where we have to compete with other companies for the volume of customers to sell our parts. We don't carry any standard applications, we don't throw out standard "kits" and tell the the public that "this kit produces X amount of horsepower and that's why you should buy it from us". Rather, we offer a more personalized service where we build cars, one client at a time. Maybe one day, when we go mainstream, we'll build parts, install them on project cars, and test them out and make performance claims, in an effort to compete with other companies to sell our products.

For now, it is more important to us that: 1.our clients are satisfied with their car AFTER we have finished our work, 2.that our work is tested (not for numbers) but for driveability, and 3.our work remains reliable and dependable for years after. These priorities far outweigh the need to prove the value of our services through numbers. And what our clients like most is that they get to test drive the car BEFORE we return it back them. If they are not completely satisfied with it, we bring it back into the facility to keep working. The fact is, most drivers don't know the difference between 10-15whp behind the wheel, and they are more concerned with the intangibles: increased throttle response, faster revs through the powerband, increased torque for high speed passing. These are the things that our clients are looking for in many instances, and most of the time there is no number on the dyno that will accurately denote this.

Still, we are serious tuners, and we live by the dyno for our fine tuning for the more extensive projects. In most instances we'll provide our findings to our clients on their specific car at the time we do our dyno tuning. However, since we don't feel the need to compete with other companies in selling our services, and we make no products to stand by(for now), we need no gimmicks in advertising false hp/tq gains for a general application because we have none. Everything we do remains custom spec, so horsepower and torque gains vary for each client, and there's simply no way around that.

Furthermore, this fact is the reason why you have seen this trend on 25 different vehicles in the last year. People go out thinking that if they buy an advertised product, install it themselves on the same vehicle, then they should see the same gain. The fact is, few people know the truth about the dyno. Dyno runs are NEVER the same. Run after run the same car will give different numbers, and different cars with the same specs will give completely different runs. Companies are smart: they only report the best run. I am a subscriber to three tuner magazines. Maybe 1 car out of the 25 I've seen featured are truly tuned. Aftermarket parts makers have fouled up stories of the dyno so much that they have people out there paying $400+ for a lightweight pulley kit, thinking its going to add 10hp to the wheels, or $600 for an aftermarket exhaust adding 30hp to the wheels (dyno proven). If BRI needs to start posting dyno charts to be taken seriously, we'd rather keep our integrity and focus more on gaining our respect from our clients.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
I have no idea to the quality of work Boyken Racing does but any modification done witho...

I have no idea to the quality of work Boyken Racing does but any modification done without the conformation of a Dyno run to quantify your gains is a waste of money. Anyone that would spend money to say it feels faster without actually knowing it is faster is a fool. I need to know the actual results for any modification I do to the engine.

I think it is foolish to call someone elses posted DynoJet runs as false or in some way misleading. A DynoJet run should reflect the same results at any facility across the nation. True, there is a range of gains and is dependent on the engine's internal condition but a DynoJet run will give you a really good indication of the hp you will be getting for a particular kit.

"$600 for an aftermarket exhaust adding 30hp to the wheels (dyno proven)."

I added a completely different exhaust with headers to my SEC and picked-up close to 40 hp at the wheels. I have the DynoJet results to quantify the difference. I test everything I do to my car to make sure I know if my money/efforts were well spent or poorly spent.

You have people that give you money for subjective power gains? More power to you. I sure as heck wouldn't trust how something felt.

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
Again, it is just a matter of who you are, and how you modify. I build high performance en...

Again, it is just a matter of who you are, and how you modify. I build high performance engines, and in doing so use techniques proven by racers in motorsports. If I made parts, my philosophy would be totally different. Since I build engines, my main focuses are (1)getting more air/fuel into the cylinder, and (2)getting efficiency out of the combustion cycle. These two focus are proven by the laws of physics and mechanical engineering, so everytime I finish modding a car, I don't have to "run to the dyno" to see if what I did worked...I go to see how well it worked.

...40hp at the wheels? I find that almost incredulous. January 2003(Volume 34, no.1) issue of European Car magazine, they tested 10 well-known aftermarket cat-back exhausts for the E36 M3. Do you know what the max gain was for the best exhaust they tested? EVOsports HIOP's gain was 6.3hp and 6.4lb/ft at the wheels, but you've got 40hp? Now sure, you've got headers- and forced inducted engines do exponentially increase gains from "tweaks" to the motor, but 40whp- sounds like something I seen in an advertisement.

By the way, it's BOYKIN, not Boyken. Good day.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
"40hp at the wheels? I find that almost incredulous."

Have you ever seen a stock US 560...

"40hp at the wheels? I find that almost incredulous."

Have you ever seen a stock US 560 SEC exhaust? If not, you wouldn't understand. I replaced the entire exhaust from the heads to the tailpipe. The difference was huge. I have attached a before and after picture. Now, try to imagine shoving 8- 10 psi of boost down a 5.6L motor and breath out of those old bricks. I think you are getting the picture. I picked up right at 40 RWHP and 25 RWTQ from the headers seen in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
Audi S6
56 Posts
Those things are beautiful!![:)] I have no problem giving credit when it is due.....

Those things are beautiful!![:)] I have no problem giving credit when it is due..

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks! They were custom fabricated. The project took around 2 months from design to p...

Thanks! They were custom fabricated. The project took around 2 months from design to production to installation. The labor hours that were put into these headers was tremendous. However, the header fabricator made his money back by building six sets. I'm really happy with them to say the least. I'm thinking having a set made for my E55.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts