Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<br>
Hey, guys which woild you perfer if you were looking for style, comfort,speed,and reliable an M5 or an E55...?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E55 is everything you mentioned... style, comfort, and speed. Its the super luxo-cruiser and with some minor suspension mods you can make it handle like a dream too. I have read alot of people on the M5 boards burning up their clutches after 10-15k miles. If you want to be totally intune with your car every minute and don't mind a 6 speed, the M5 might be your way to go. I drive about 100 miles a day and nothing beats the E55's auto but then again I own one so my opinion is slightly biased.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vic - What suspension mods?

Sorry to hijack this thread....<br> <br> Vic,<br> <br> What suspension mods do you recommend? I would like to tighten up my E55.<br> <br> Now back to our regularly scheduled program which is already in progress....<br> <br> Thanks<br> <br> Mike VM

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Vic - What suspension mods?

I went with the H&R sport springs that lower the front about 1.4 inches and the rears about 1.3 inches. I am running spring pad #1 up front and a #2 in the rear. For shocks I went with the Bilstein Sports- they are stiffer than the factory E55 shocks (Bilstein Heavy Duty version). You can see the progression of my car in the W210 gallery at this site. I started with factory 18's then went to factory 19's then to Brabus 19's and then I lowered it. It may seem like a spent a lot of money but I have some solid contacts at Sprewell Racing in San Gabriel, CA.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: How much did the Bilsteins run you ?

I got the Bilsteins with a wheel and tire package so my price was different than if you bought them alone. I had priced them out at 90-100 per wheel before I did the package. If you live in California- call Sprewell Racing in San Gabriel.<p>we-24-130-123-17.we.mediaone.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on which priorities you have...I needed the auto (rush hour sux plus the M5 appetite for clutches every 10-15k) and prefered the roomier back seat and liked having a spare so I went with the E55. Regardless of the never ending debate, speed, handling, and comfort on an everyday basis (street driving) is a wash, style is a personal call (I still prefer the 5 series body vs the E-class, though), and reliability/servicing should not be very different as well...<br> <br> <p>tmp17.frankel-group.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Vic - can you spare me some advice?

Vic, I got an E55 AMG in Malaysia. Unfortunately, there's only 2 of this in Malaysia. Obviously, no one in this country knows how I can lower the car a bit to make it more stable at 270 km/h. I read about you talking about suspension modifications. Can you give me some advice on what to do? I'll fly to the US if I have to!<p>jrc-cache8.jaring.my

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian Z...

Here are some possibilities but then again I dont know the import export laws of Malaysia. The products should be H&R springs- You can check their website for exact part numbers and there is a toll free order number too. (HRSprings.Com)<br> <br> But you cant just stop there because the springs are shorter and the shocks on the E55 are too long. Change to Bilstein or Koni adjustables- both in the Sport Model variations. This will tighten up the yaw in turns that your old shocks can't handle. (Bilstein.Com)<br> <br> I hope this helps but trust me you will love every minute with your new suspension compared to the factory. By the way, how are the roads out there? Because if they are real bad then you will need probably stick with the factory setup. You can go to the gallery at this site and see my car before and after the drop (W210). With the new shocks the drop is even lower (1/4 more inch) since they are shorter.<p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts