Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left today from gas station. Accelerated from the ramp. Coasted around 5 miles, and then car started to vibrate slightly and i heard a loud thumping and grinding noise from rear.
-Noise has the same frequency as tires spin (10 thumps around 40-50mph)
-Noise can be heard on all speeds, lower speeds its just thumping (like somebody had a sledge hammer and was pounding the trunk floor.) Faster its a thumping + grinding noise
-Noise gets worse the warmer car gets
-Noise a lot louder when coasting and braking. Vanishes when accelerating.
-Noise is same in gears 1,2,3 and N

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Left today from gas station. Accelerated from the ramp. Coasted around 5 miles, and then car started to vibrate slightly and i heard a loud thumping and grinding noise from rear.
-Noise has the same frequency as tires spin (10 thumps around 40-50mph)
-Noise can be heard on all speeds, lower speeds its just thumping (like somebody had a sledge hammer and was pounding the trunk floor.) Faster its a thumping + grinding noise
-Noise gets worse the warmer car gets
-Noise a lot louder when coasting and braking. Vanishes when accelerating.
-Noise is same in gears 1,2,3 and N

Any suggestions?

Seems like you either busted a CV joint or your differential. Get under the car and take a look to see if there is anything odd.

·
Registered
2003 E55 AMG
6 Posts
Scubasteve102 i had the same problem did you find a fix mine happens under load or in a corner did all engine mounts and trans and new rims still same problem, grinding from the back I think i am going to look at the diff mounts and sub frame mount

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
inspection on rear final drive/diff and all components is in order. You should change your gear oil in there while your at it..

·
Registered
2003 E55 AMG
6 Posts
I Put it on the lift I think i found the corporate Both Cv Boots are covered in grease Coming out of the Diff and at the rear hubs,
Do you know if i can just replace the boot or do i need to perches both axle assemblies Please let me know I hope its the latter, as i called the Stealership In my home town they want 2,000 for the set :( Please let me know this is driving me insane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts