Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 e55 and i think that at speeds above 70-80 there is some floating sensation, which two friends who drive in rallys and scca feel also. I'd like to talk to any owners in the n.o. area who could drive my car and see if it's different from theirs, if they think their ride is rock solid. I've got dunlop sp9000.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stewart,<br> <br> Check your tire pressure. Recommended tire pressure is 41 front / 48 back (see the sticker inside the driver's door frame). When I picked up my new '02 E55 from the dealer in December, tires were ~35 psi. Car felt floaty above about 115. Airing up the tires fixed that problem. Car is rock steady past 130.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tire pressure information on the car is a little confusing. At the door it says cold pressure 41/48, but int he gas filler door that pressure is indicated for five people with full luggage. I checked with tire rack and they thought that if you used that pressure with only one or two people in the car you'd wind up essentially with overinflation problems, with the center wearing before the sides.Still, if it gets rid ofhe floating sensation, it's not a bad thing. I will try it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
owned two of em...the OE spring/shock combo is....

too soft for me. H and R's did help. If I did it again, I probably would upgrade the shocks as well. BTW, the problem was way worse with the shorter bufers in the suspension, confirming the fact that the springs were working way too hard. Just my opinion..allen.

·
Registered
2002 E55
8 Posts
E55 tires

I have owned a 99 E55 and now own a 2002 model. Never noticed what you have described. Stayed with the stock AMG wheels and Michelins on the 99 model. Found performance better with the recommended higher tire pressures. On my 02 model I installed 19" Carlsson 2/5 brilliant 2 pc. wheels for better performance and appearance. The front maximum wheel width is 8" and the rear is 10". Bridgestone 245/35ZR19 S-03 tires work on the front and 285/30ZR19 on the rear. If you should decide to use these or similar tires be aware that the manufacturers don't always get the spacers and bolt lengths correct. RENNtech corrected mine but they also sell their own wheels, which I am sure would be correct. RENNtech also does a rear multilink modification which will certainly improve stability. If you would be interested in seeing the quality of their work, e-mail me. I live in Houma and often go to No Problem Raceway on Wednesday nights.
[:D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts