Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all the exhaust mod posts and I think I have an idea of what to do. It's kinda confusing as to where the cats, resonator and mufflers are located.

As I understand there are 1st set of cats from engine then 2nd set then a kinda square box that is the resonator then the mufflers at the back connected to the tips, is this correct?

My plan is to remove the 2nd set of cats then replace the resonator with a X pipe. One question is why not remove the first set too, that is if you don't require emissions inspection where you live like me.

I don't want it super loud but I'd like to hear it more and still be throuty if that makes any sense.

Thanks for any help! Dave

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
41 Posts
its really hard to make these engines loud. i plan to install renntech shorties w/o cats/resonator and install x pipe. lots of youtube vids of custom exhausts. id start there

·
Registered
2006 E55 AMG
12 Posts
I'd leave the cats, remove the resonator and replace the mufflers with Borla/Magnaflow. These would be custom fitted so you can keep the exhaust tips etc.

My personal preference is to keep the car quiet...I've owned mustang 5.0s since the eighties and have had my share of exhaust tones...Sure it will yell nicely when you floor it, but if you drive regularly on the highway the drone will get annoying IMHO. To me the trick is to gain performance and still be quiet and comfortable!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2003 e55
11 Posts
i have both removed and res also sounds great. Quiet driving around town and when you mash it very good. Not to loud but you can here it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts