Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded in my 1999 E55 for a 2001 E55 4 weeks ago - new car has the command system and K2a (voice activited phone). I had the dealer put in a permanent power source for my V1 - (which I also had done in my 1999 E55). Now a bunch of electrical problems have surfaced. In order of occurance:<br><br>
1. Car will not turn on the phone when the car is started. Display reads 'activating phone' or 'service not available' and the phone never switches on. If I open the phone and hit the power button the phone will wake up, and most of the time, (but not all) I can use the hands free speaker and microphone. Phone battery does not charge when in cradle with the cord plugged in.<br><br>
2. The voice activiation system stopped working for a time. Pull the lever and the little beep never happens. Turn off the car, restart, and it works. This has occured twice.<br><br>
3. The radio or cd stops, as if to take an incoming call or to play a direction from the GPS but the phone never rings and no route has been played into the GPS system. This usually happends for about 5-10 seconds, then the music resumes. Happens when driving or when stopped at a light.<br><br>
4. And the latest? - The passenger side seat moves on it's own. Happened first with a passenger, I assumed they had accidently hit a button with their leg or arm. But on Monday, sitting at a traffic light I heard a noise and the seat bottom was rising and the the backrest was reclining. Nobody in the seat.<br><br>
<br><br>
With the exception of the phone, which happens all the time, the other events are occasional with no pattern. Seems to happen with or without the radar detector being plugged in, with headlights on or off, with the ac on or off. <br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
The dealer has it today, but has anybody else with a 2001 - 2000 E class have any strange electrical problems? <br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>
<br><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No electrical Problems on my 2001 E55

Sounds like a faulty installation of the phone. Perhaps the dealer was not familiar with the proper steps.<br> <br> The V1 power should not affect it I also have one installed and hardwired.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the radio and the cd does go off for about 1-2 seconds, just once each trip, and never again for that trip, and usually within the first 1-3 minutes.<br> None of your other difficulties have occurred, although the voice recognition works mainly for me and when other men have tried it it doesn't work well with old numbers. It's just a one man phone, I guess.You should yell at mercedes, it needs fixing. It has really worked well for the last 5 months, that I've had the car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: No electrical Problems on my 2001 E55

not related, but do you find the ride different between the two models?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who you gonna call - GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

Sounds like a computer/software problem. You'd think that there is one problem that is affecting multiple systems. I have a problem with the voice activated phone that I recently had installed - It just displays PHONE in the multifunction display, but haven't had a chance to get back to the dealer yet. ('01 E55)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99 vs 01

My 99 was a very early model and it had some teething problems. In particular the adaptive transmission always seemed to be a step or two behind me. No problems like that on the new one. In general the ride seems a little tigher on the new one, but it might simply be the difference in mileage and age (for the car and me!) <br> <br> Truth is I love this car. This is the first time I have ever bought the same car a second time. I usually get bored and move onto something else, but this car is great as my daily driver. Can't wait for the 200? 400hp+ new E class AMG.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem #2 happens to me

I've also had this voice activation problem with my 2001 E55. Turn the car off, restart, and everything works fine. Let me know if you find a cure. Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts