Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a new thermostat (car won't warm up)....I've searched but can only find examples outside this country.(about coolant) Everybody here says sod it ,it doesn't make a difference put the bog-standard blue stuff in...........It currently has red in it,although what specs I don't know. I refuse to go to the stealers because I know they don't make it themselves and like a lot of things you can get the same stuff made in the same factory but in a different container. The problem is I can find plenty of red coolant but all the dim-wits in the shops can tell me is that it's red!! Can anyone in these parts point me in the right direction as to what they use?....It's snowing like mad here and I'm using a gallon of juice just to get luke warm air before I even manage to get off the drive!:surrender:

·
Registered
CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
648 Posts
The difference between red & blue won't be so large as to produce the effect you describe. Sounds to me like your viscous clutch is a bit too damn viscous, or your waterpump is about to die (the vanes erode away...) How many miles have you got and can you hear the "whirr" of the fan above the engine? My old '55 would run the fan for months - it went "sensitive" somehow. The Waterpump failed in my 430 - replacing it was the best work I've ever had done to any car, bar none. 3mpg better, way better temperature stability in traffic. I *think* it warms up faster too but I haven't really monitored it.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,but not quite what I meant......Thermostat is defo stuck open. My concern is people on here go on about G something or another coolant,but nowhere as heard of it. My mates at the independent MB garage say put the normal blue stuff in(that's what they do)It's just I read about it corroding things hence the red stuff......I just thought I'd ask before I go and buy the blue,which is what I would have done if I hadn't read about the red.....Sorry I made a simple question a bit long winded! So which do you use?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Coolant

The "color" of the MB coolant is dependent on the country, here in the US our coolant is green.

The generic equivalent is Xerex G-05, and I believe in the UK that is sold as Valvoline G-05.

When using the concentrate, use distilled water for the mix. The use of tap or hose water can screw you up long term due to ph and dissolved minerals.

The engine internals are a lot of different metals, and proper coolant and water mix are necessary to prevent internal corrosion

In most countries we assume tap water is OK, when for the coolant it is not, even here in the US.

Wrong coolant and wrong water used on the mix cause premature corrosion problems internally leading to increasing premature failure of thermostats and clogging radiators

When in doubt on what you have in there now, do a full coolant replacement.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a full replacement,after flushing the system several times....The stuff on the link I posted that is now in there is green. The old was red,it came out looking like it was new,you would never know it had been in an engine for however long............Which I'm taking as a good sign.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts