Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

E55 AMG Common Issues and Advice

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rbnt086 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum! Fun fact, I'm actually more a Toyota/Lexus fan, but there's one Mercedes that I've really always wanted and loved, and that's the W210 E55 AMG. (Shhh, don't tell them I'm here) Of course having never dealt with a German car before, what are your honest advices and tips to lookout for on one of these? I've been thinking about trying to find one, but never really knew what it would be like living with one, or what to expect with reliability and repairs. I'm not much of a wrench myself, so I already know those labor costs are gonna set my wallet on fire, but anything for the beautiful looks, power, and sound they make. Thank you in advance, and hopefully one day, I can add this set of keys to my key rack.

#2 ·
Hello there and welcome.

The W210 E55 common issues are pretty much the same as any other W210 model. I would recommend looking at the W210 E-Class message board for common issues and that will give you 99% of the information you're looking for. The #1 issue that always comes up is rust everywhere. It can be dangerous because the coil spring perches can rust out and break off. Look for one that spent its life in areas with no snow. If you get one I would recommend that you don't drive it in the snowy months in Pennsylvania.

The W210 E55 mechanically is a pretty stout vehicle. The engine and transmission are pretty reliable if maintained properly. However this Mercedes will never be as reliable as a Toyota/Lexus. Also these cars are about 20 years old so things are bound to break/need work. With that I find that the W210 is not a difficult car to work on, and there are loads of YouTube videos illustrating repairs.

I purchased my E55 last year and have been working on it as a hobby. The main issue that it had when I got it was a vacuum leak that turned out to be the gaskets between the intake manifold and head. It caused fuel trim issues as a result and it took me a while to diagnose the problem. After that the valve cover gaskets were leaking oil as well as replacing the breather hoses.

#3 ·
Welcome rbnt086, :)

Take some time and digest the w210 info here. AMG is just the beast version. What specific year do you have your eyes on?

Do a search on the w210 with 'common issues'. I suggest reading thru the posts to get a good feel. There is plenty of info (rather than wait only for responses)

Like any vehicle, the key to finding the right w210 amg will be it's past history, ownership and service records, if any.

When you find ones you are looking at, feel free to post what you see and members here will/can provide you guidance.

edit:
btw, if you ever get the urge to DIY on these w210s, they are pretty straight forward and can save you $$$

Reactions: rbnt086
#4 ·
Thank you, definitely have found a good amount of info while looking around. Had my eyes on a few 2000 and 2001, which I believe are slightly different from '99. Have found some really clean ones, but as expected, the auction price kept going up and up until it was beyond what my wallet could bear to see. Can only continue to work on saving up and hope timing is on my side at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.