Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: E55 / 2000-2001 feedback

Very easy to maintain, the only issue seems to be the single wiper blade which you have to change frequently free of charge at any dealer.<p>Totally hassle free for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: E55 / 2000-2001 feedback

: Very easy to maintain, the only issue seems to be the single wiper blade which you have to change frequently free of charge at any dealer.<p>Totally hassle free for me.<p>Can you please comment on your likes and dislikes? I had an opportunity to test drive a '99 E55 recently, albeit for only a few minutes. The only dislike I noted was the steering seemed overboosted. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: E55 likes and dislikes

I have driven only the 2000-2001 and not the 1999. I thought the 1999 may be quite nice with the traditional 'gated' automatic gear selector. I'm curious how it compares to the newer touch-shift.<p>Yes, the steering is quite light but I do find it precise enough. The light steering is good in the limo mode when I am not pushing the car.<p>Besides the amazing acceleration, I like the excellent brakes as well as its rock solid structure. Being an automatic, it's extremely easy to quickly launch the car with so much torque available and the car has truly outstanding balance, I find it very neutral at its limit when making quick sharp turns. The traction control is sophisticated enough to take away most of my worries of a powerful front engine/rear wheel drive sedan being too tail happy. I have tried flooring it in a turn on wet pavement and the system would cut the power and brake the individual wheels so it's not that easy to make the car fishtail.<p>In terms of practicality, its back is much roomier than many of its competitors such as the M5 and its remote auto opening trunk is nice. The MB brand is good for stealth speeding too, much less showy in front of the cops compared to a BMW.<p>What I don't like about the E55? The single wiper blade as mentioned, as well as the car's tendency to follow the road's imperfection. Not a huge concern.<p>It's really a nice all rounded dual purpose high performance car. I was test driving a 360 F1 the other day and while it is naturally faster than the E55, its noise, its seating position, ground clearance, the attention it gets, etc. simply make it very difficult to go from point A to point B as fast as the E55. In the E55, I just get in the car and go, a perfect day to day super car in my opinion.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: E55 likes and dislikes

: I have driven only the 2000-2001 and not the 1999. I thought the 1999 may be quite nice with the traditional 'gated' automatic gear selector. I'm curious how it compares to the newer touch-shift.<p>I have the '99 and I love the 'gated' gear selector. Very purposeful feel to it. I've test driven the newer Es and their shifter. No auto shift, but hey, our E55s don't really need shifting. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts