Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have an E500 and when cold + cold start....engine does a slap/ticking noise almost like a lifter or something. I had the car in shop a while ago and the engine is sealed. In 5,000 miles car has use two quarts....also I notice that if you accelerate hard to merge on highway several times will make this message come on quicker. Any ideas between the cold ticking/slapping noise and oil usage??? I park in the same spot overnight and do not notice anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you didnt mention the mileage or oil change interval. ticking noise may be from low oil level when message comes on, from the lifters. on cold start the lifter noise on the 113 engine is very noticeable n shouldnt be much of a concern unless one side is noticeably louder then the other.. lifters would have to be changed.

on hard accel u say the oil message comes on is bc the level sensor is in the pan and when u accel the oil shifts and sensor reads low.

ticking lifters may be caused as well from sludge, again u didnt mention oil change interval n such.

oil consumtion may be worn rings or valve seals

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,119 Posts
Also it would be good to know what type of oil is being used.
If it is too thin it will be consumed by the engine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

I have 120,000 miles on this thing....change oil 5,000 or 10,000 by way of FSS...I drive strictly highway... when its started drive straight to highway for about 50+ miles. Car is dealer services..... they use 5w-40 ESP MOBILE ONE. MBTECH the oil indicator only ever come on while driving saying add one quart at next refueling.... also the hard accel add oil doesnt always happen....I was pointing out that for example if you were to accel hard you would more likely encounter the message than if you had not been accel hard.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
if the oil def needs replenishing with the message all the time then the oil level/quality sensor is functioning properly. a quart for 1000 miles is normal and should not be a concern as for oil consumption. is it more oil than the quart for 1k miles?

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
if the oil def needs replenishing with the message all the time then the oil level/quality sensor is functioning properly. a quart for 1000 miles is normal and should not be a concern as for oil consumption. is it more oil than the quart for 1k miles?
My 2003 E500 has 101,800 miles used nothing but M1 European Formula and MB fleece filters. It NEVER needs oil between 13,000 mile oil changes. The car drives like new. The 1st 50,K miles oil was changed by the dealer only twice after that I took over. I know what went into the engine.

The engine is the major strong point in the car. If you use a qt every 1000 miles there is a problem. It might be in spec, but there is a problem somewhere. If it smokes letting off the throttle it just might be bad valve seals. Compression checks, wet, dry will help tell the story. You might also do a cylinder leak down test. Good luck.

Are you 100% sure you are running approved oil and filters?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is MB dealer serviced... dealer I deal with using MOBILE ONE 5w-40 ESP.. others in area use Valvoline or other major brand 5w-40. I noticed today while parked I get vibration at 1100 rpm and if I raise to 1500 and let slowly die down vibrations get more intense... its not bad but not smooth.. YAWN this car is getting on my nerves now.

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
Car is MB dealer serviced... dealer I deal with using MOBILE ONE 5w-40 ESP.. others in area use Valvoline or other major brand 5w-40. I noticed today while parked I get vibration at 1100 rpm and if I raise to 1500 and let slowly die down vibrations get more intense... its not bad but not smooth.. YAWN this car is getting on my nerves now.
Agree your dealer uses MOBILE ONE 5w-40 ESP.

But are you SURE you know what oil your car is getting.

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
480 Posts
hawk - I had a 1998 E430 that used about 1L / 2500 Km or so. Harder driving increased consumption. After MUCH research and diagnostics, I believe the reason was that incorrect oil was used (not full synthetic) along with the recommended FSS intervals. This created some sludge in the engine, along with premature wear and likely some ring wear.

My current 2007 E550 does not use any appreciable oil between changes.

I know Mercedes' official stance on oil consumption is 1L/1000 Km is *acceptable*.

My personal belief is that if an engine is using that much oil, there is something wrong with it, outside of an external oil leak (which can usually be repaired). If the engine isn't leaking oil externally, it is being consumed internally and this points to a fault within the engine.

On the positive side, my E430 used oil the entire time I owned it. Didn't get any better or worse.

I would not waste your time on engine flushes or worrying about it too much. If you don't see smoke, and/or the consumption doesn't increase, just drive it and add oil when needed.

It is NOT likely to be valve stems/valve stem seals - this was/is an issue with older engines, the newer M113/M273 variants do not really exhibit this problem. It is more likely to be ring wear from going too long between changes using an incorrect oil.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have an E500 and when cold + cold start....engine does a slap/ticking noise almost like a lifter or something. I had the car in shop a while ago and the engine is sealed. In 5,000 miles car has use two quarts....also I notice that if you accelerate hard to merge on highway several times will make this message come on quicker. Any ideas between the cold ticking/slapping noise and oil usage??? I park in the same spot overnight and do not notice anything.

Had the same issue and took it to the dealer about 6 times before they fixed it - twice. The car was a 04 E500 with 50K and was 5 years old at the time. It was under a CPO warranty that covered all these repairs.

Replace left side lifters, then replace right side lifters. De-carbon cylinder heads, replace oil/filter all spark plugs. Was good for about 8 months and seemed to be worse in the winter.

The ticking returned and would always occur when starting cold and if I drove with the windows down I could still hear it until it warmed up.

Ticking returned and with 1 month left on my 2 year CPO warranty and the Mercedes dealer replace the entire short block and decarboned the cyclinder heads. There was still ticking from carbon buildup on the pistons and there was scoring in the some of the cylinder. It saw the paper work on the repair and was $15000 charged to Mercedes Canada by the dealer.

I only had the car 2 years and the engine was out of it twice. It still had issues with the transmission shifting erratically and I made the call to trade it. They could write a book on all the issues this car had and it still had some when I got rid of it.

The Honda dealer that I traded it to had a SBC failure on the way to the auto auction and managed to get the car stopped without any damage.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
349 Posts
Just for balance. I have an 05 E500 4Matic with 92,000 miles and the car has been reliable and works beautifully. No oil consumption, shifting well, all systems go. At this point I wasted my money on the extended warranty. Had the shudder problem which has been resolved via a x-fer case fluid change. Fingers crossed all seems normal and well at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts