Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sry if this has already been discussed, but i was wondering what options there were for the E500/500E exhaust. i already know there will be little if any HP gain, but the car is just wayyyy to quiet... our E320 sounds better right now. and i think some nice chrome tips would look good sticking out...

so far i have found a remus, havent called or emailed them though
http://bergwerks.com/r_exhaust.jsp
and pricing seems ok...
i also emailed brabus but am thinking pricing on that would be wayyyy too much...

any other options?

thanks
seth mac

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I've got this one for sale for $350 if you're interested. Its off of a R129 600SL but will fit the 500E500 with very minor mods. Your inlet pipe should be fitted with a 3-bolt flange to fit the flange on this muffler. Any muffler shop can do it. This way you can remove it anytime with ease. All 500SL and 600SL's have this flange. Lightly used, not sure on mileage but no signs of rust or baffles crumbling.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 E320
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intresting... now, i personnally have no clue what any of that stuff does... so would it make it sound better?? im guessing it would...

ha sry for the dumb question....

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
The Remus brand mufflers give a nice low tone and rumble. It lets you know you have a 300+hp V8. The difference between a quality-built performance muffler, like a Remus, vs. an aftermarket, cheap alternative is quite noticeable. The cheap mufflers give a raspy, almost crackling sound because its mostly just hollow sheet metal. The Remus is made with true baffle materials to muffle the sound but keep the nice free-flow with low tone. You can see that even the tips contain resonation materials and "honeycombs." This muffler was $900+ when new. The V8/V12 tuned performance mufflers are always made apart from 4 and 6cyl tuned mufflers, as the sounds are very much different.

·
Registered
mercedes w124 260E
639 Posts
hey guyz check my post and you will see some custom hand made exhaust pipes from 100% stainless stell

·
Registered
MB C-300 Sport 2009 Manual Black XPIPE+Exhaust=Brilliance
341 Posts
HEY GUYS I NEED TO KNOW IF I SHOULD DO THIS OR NOT.

I have the new C-300 '08 I just did an X-pipe wow no sound difference at all just more power (a slight change) if I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers will that damage my car in the long run or will it sound like a rice honda? or should i got with new Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers????? please let me know what I should do I dont want to do a full exhaust its too expensive!! Should I do a straight pipe instead of mufflers or vise versa????:bowdown:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Remove mufflers and do a straight pipe instead

Hey sdoherty thnx for your reply, I removed the resonators but and welded the X pipe however It still silent, is it safe for me to remove the mufflers and weld on straight pipes or will it damage my car I hear it wont do anything to my C-300 however I want to know if you kow anybody that have donw it and was desatisfied with the noise I dont ewant to it to sound like a honda or a cheap car

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
Remus mufflers are way overpriced and too quite. I have used these before and they just are not worth the money.

For my 500e, I had a complete cat back system built and installed using all Magnaflow parts. Now it sounds like a V8. Listen to the clip (right click and "save target as" to download)

http://www.2phast.com/500e/500e.wav

·
Registered
1992 500E
102 Posts
I second 2phast’s decision to bypass the mufflers route (regardless who made them; Remus, Eisenmann, AMG, Borla, etc. - cause a muffler is just a muffler) and I also went the cat-back exhaust path and could not be happier. My system is an all stainless steel dual exhaust with mandrel bent 3” pipes and custom designed X-pipe and two mufflers. And the whole system was less then a single Remus or Eisenmann muffler and with true power gains that no muffler can deliver. The icing on the cake is my exhaust was engineered specifically for my 500E keeping in mind the powerband and the nature of the M119 engine. Best money I’ve spend.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Help!!!

Thank for your reply. Soooo again should I remove the mufflers and put straight pipes instead of the mufflers or is it going to be waay to loud keep in mind I like deep loud noise (no homo) lol

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,929 Posts
Did you listen to the link 2phast posted? Should answer your question. IMO, straight pipes are not going to give you the sound you desire and may have a negative impact on performance. Remember, all street motors need a certain amount of back pressure. Of course that excludes pure racing engines that are all together different beast.

Jayare

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
The original poster was asking about E500 exhaust options, how did we digress to a C-Class in a W124 forum????

I don't believe anyone here said to remove the muffler, some of us have removed the resonator, which increases the volume of your exhaust a little. But what some of us have done is design a complete exhaust system. In my case its a high flow Maganflow cat (two into one) with 3" pipe straight back to a Magnaflow rear muffler with some square tips coming out under the bumper. Its a higher flowing design than the OE setup, which used dual cats which were more restrictive than the Magnaflow cat. The setup I have is more or less what Magnaflow recommends for the 5.0l Mustang, which has the same breathing requirements as the 500e.

Its at Rik Johnsons W124.036 under Performance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts