Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E550 Coupe
2 Posts
Thanks Much.
I live in Tbilisi Georgia, just wonder how local MB dealer will react on this issue.
Will give a try anyways.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,229 Posts
Not certain how it would play out in your market, request dealership service manager contact MB to consider goodwill repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Konigstiger, so I went to the dealership to get a diagnosis on the knocking sound on a cold start because in order to request a goodwill repair it needs to be diagnosed by a Mercedes-Benz dealership. So I went and explained to the service advisor that my engine is within that range of the bulletin and left the car overnight for diagnosis. Next day, service advisor explained me that this is normal for direct injection engines having high pressure and thats the way they run. I made a video of a cold start: https://vimeo.com/296284511

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,229 Posts
OK, have dealer play sound clip attached to bulletin 056435 and compare to your engine most likely check valves will need to be replaced per bulletin recommendation.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have heard a knocking (?) engine sound following rpm (link is to video of the sound.) and i am a little bit worried. Cant seem to find anything about this elsewhere and no video. This seems to be a normal sound on e55 amg kompressor from a video i found, but nothing on the m278. The car runs great but i need to know what to do.

Please can anyone help me and give me advice?

Regards Teisan

https://streamable.com/e918m
HI Theisan,

Responding to your post, to which i have copied below:
"I have heard a knocking (?) engine sound following rpm (link is to video of the sound.) and i am a little bit worried. Cant seem to find anything about this elsewhere and no video. This seems to be a normal sound on e55 amg kompressor from a video i found, but nothing on the m278. The car runs great but i need to know what to do.
Please can anyone help me and give me advice?
Regards Teisan
https://streamable.com/e918m"

Tiesan, I have the same noise from my M278, it does not go away after it warms up, as such we do not believe in our case it is timing chain adjuster related. It sounds like it is a noisy hydraulic lifter. How did you go with yours, did you find out what is causing it. Your input would be greatly appreciated, Thank You Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
repair status query

Hi Theisan,
Did your noise end up being the timing chain tensioners ? I have what seems to be the same noise, however it does not go away even once engine is warm. I have been told by a tech that he believes it is a hydraulic lifter, just wondering what yours was ?
Regards Paul

·
Registered
S500 4-matic 2012
2 Posts
M278 sound

Hi, I have the same rattle sound.. and also it continues as the engine is warm..
Did somebody tried to change the hydraulic valve lifters?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. My engine noise is identical (it has a similiar knocking sound for 20 seconds from start) + It can also be heard while accelerating on very low rpms...

Any news regarding lifter replacement?

M278 sound

Hi, I have the same rattle sound.. and also it continues as the engine is warm..
Did somebody tried to change the hydraulic valve lifters?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts