Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2012 E500/E550
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a knocking (?) engine sound following rpm (link is to video of the sound.) and i am a little bit worried. Cant seem to find anything about this elsewhere and no video. This seems to be a normal sound on e55 amg kompressor from a video i found, but nothing on the m278. The car runs great but i need to know what to do.

Please can anyone help me and give me advice?

Regards Teisan

https://streamable.com/e918m

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,237 Posts
Up to engine # 30 103675 could be chain tensioners see attached bulletin. If applicable, request goodwill assistance from MB arguing defective parts were installed at production. You do not mention model year if 2013 have dealer check vehicle master inquiry (VMI) to see if VIN is included in attached service campaign if so, repair is free.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 E500/E550
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Its a 2012 (2011-12) model, so its facelift inside but not outside. Thank you for you answer. Anyone else have this sound? Maybe its normal i dont know. I would like to listen to another m278 engine on idle if someone have the time to make a video.

·
Registered
2013 E550 Sedan
178 Posts
My 2013 E550 had the "rattling sound" on startup for a few seconds. M-B replaced the check valves, and secondary timing chain tensioners last June. It was covered under the new car warranty in my case. Konigstiger's post is what I would suggest you do to resolve your problem. The repair outlined on the xEnenty (Sp) Bulletin solved my startup noise. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
120 Posts
I just bought a 2012 E550. Do I need to worry about this? My engine number is within the numeric range mentioned...

Mike

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
120 Posts
So I took my car by the dealer today and they said my car does appear to be within the engine serial number range of effected vehicles. I definitely get a good rattle in the morning, especially if I have not driven the car for two days. They also stated it was not covered by any campaigns and that I was looking at a significant out of pocket expense to get this work done. My engine serial number falls in the group that needs both check valves and new tensioners.

I have never needed to request Goodwill Assistance before. Is this something I do through my local dealer or do i go direct to MBUSA? Should I do this before taking the car in for service, or do I need to wait for the dealer to diagnose the problem and submit a repair estimate or wait for the work to be completed and seek reimbursement from MBUSA. Obviously I would like to avoid this out of pocket expense right before Christmas if possible, but my B service is due and the car has 54k miles and I'm nervous about delaying this service.

Any recommendations or experience requesting Goodwill Assistance?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,237 Posts
MBUSA 800-367-6372

Have VIN handy, reference bulletin LI05.10-P-056435 to confirm vehicle is within affected range – request no cost goodwill repair arguing defective parts were installed at production as documented in bulletin. Furthermore, you would like to coordinate this goodwill repair with out of pocket B service due. Normally bulletins are only covered under warranty however, in your case vehicle is with affected range of production flaw and you are having vehicle maintained by dealer - two pluses. $130 coupon for B service https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_special/2017holidaythankyou?utm_campaign=mbassocial_springservice&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=linkad&utm_content=coop

·
Registered
2012 E550 Iridium Silver
120 Posts
Thanks, Konig!!

I've got an appointment Tuesday, so hopefully they will agree with Goodwill Assistance. When I was there yesterday, we pulled the VMI and it showed regular dealer service for every service interval. It did not show, however, compliance with the tensioner upgrade. Likewise, we could not tell if the transmission had ever been serviced.

Thanks again,
Mike

PS - thank you for the service coupon!

·
Registered
2012 E500/E550
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone. A little update on my case. So I went to my local Mercedes shop here in Sweden. And she was quite rude and disrespectful and told me that there is no recall on my car (even though I printed out papers of the xentry linked here in this thread and showed it to her face).

So i proceeded to call MB Headquarters after that and he was very nice and helpful and was going to talk to higher bosses. He called me today to tell me that there is no recall on this car, and that recalls in the USA is different from here. I told him that I have the same issue as the recall and that it says in the xentry files that it is world wide and does not expire but still there is nothing they can do.

The car in question is the one in the first video 2012 w212 E500 with the m278.

On a side note, a friend of mine had his m276 tensioner changed at the same MB but it was under warranty so that is a different story.

My question now is how do i proceed? Do I just give the the finger suck it up and pay my mercedes indie (which is probably better than the authorized MB shop here). Or do I need to email German headquarters?

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,237 Posts
To be clear we are not discussing a recall, service campaign does not apply, Xentry bulletin normally only applicable during factory or extended warranty. If engine # is within range documented in bulletin you will be requesting MB goodwill repair. If you do not know your engine # post or PM your VIN I will confirm. If # is confirmed to be within range contact Daimler for their response, include VIN and attach copy of bulletin 056435: [email protected]

·
Registered
2012 E500/E550
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All right, ill see where it goes from there. My vin numbers is WDD2120911A578605.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,237 Posts
Your engine # 30 029601 is within range to have check valves and chain tensioners replaced with optimized parts. Attach both bulletin and EPC capture to your email request for goodwill repair arguing defective parts were installed at production as documented by bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Konig , I'm experiencing the same rattling noise after engine start with my 13 cls550. Would you be able to check if my engine is within the affected range. WDDLJ9BB5DA085453

Thank you

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,237 Posts
Your engine # 30 098194 is within range of bulletin (post 2). From engine number 30 073274 up to engine number 30 103675 replace check valves to cylinder heads, optimized tensioners are already installed in this production range. However, when performing repair and only the check valves are supposed to be installed tensioners must still be checked if optimized tensioner is found to be defective it must be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi konigstiger, can you check my VIN and see if it falls under timing chain tensioner and check valve issue?

VIN is 4JGDF7DE4FA561802

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2008 ML550 /// 2003 E320 /// 2013 CLS 550 (renntech)
212 Posts
KONIGSTIGER

You are awesome bro...if you don't mind one more check I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Vin# WDDL J9BB 1DA0 63854

*Just purchased the car from a dealer in UTAH and it shipped to me, passed all inspections and only 30k miles on the car. But a very loud annoying ticking. IF the engine does fall into range, how does this work as my warranty just expired...will a dealer still honor it or do I need to call MB USA?

I appreciate any help sincerely.

·
Registered
2012 E550 Coupe
2 Posts
Hi Konigstiger,

I'm experiencing the same rattling noise after engine start with my 2012 E550 with M278 Engine.
Would you be able to check if my engine is within the affected range?
VIN: WDDKJ7DB2CF174167

Thank you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts