Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E500 just arrived. One item I plan to get for the car is winter tires. We live in DC, but it usually snows enough to be a problem, and last year was particularly bad. My wife, who has an E430 with Michelin Pilot Sports, had a terrible time in snow. So I will get her winter tires, as well. Anyhow, it occurred to me that since I would be getting new wheels (so I can change the tires), I could get the new wheels for summer tires, and use the factory wheels for the snow tires. Having looked at the Tirerack site, I am thinking of RRS CH 17x8.5 wheels because I liked the look of them and they are the same size as the factory wheels. I am thinking of Michelin Pilot Sport A/Ss as the "summer" tire; from Michelin's website, they perform almost as well as the Pilot Sports in dry conditions, perform better in wet conditions, and have better ride and noise characteristics. I would appreciate Luke's thoughts as well as anyone else with suggestions.

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
all-season tires by design sacrifice some dry and wet traction to go through the snow not ...

all-season tires by design sacrifice some dry and wet traction to go through the snow not matter what Michelin says ... get a good summer tire for the summer because they will be better in ther dry and wet and get a good winter tire for the winter

take a look at the Firehawk SZ50 EP's thay are great

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=CQ4&url=/tires/index.jsp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the point about all season vs. summer. I saw in a recent post that you rec...

I understand the point about all season vs. summer. I saw in a recent post that you recommended the Pilot Sports and Bridgestone S-03 Poles for performance. These appear to be higher rated in the TireRack tests as well than are the Firehawks. Although I doubt that I am going to push the car very aggressively, I would like to give myself every advantage on those occasions when it is necessary to brake or swerve quickly. Also, the roads are pretty terrible here (DC). I assume that I am better off sticking with 17" wheels and that the BBS CH are solid. Any reaction?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
while the Pilot and S-03 do rate higher than the SZ50 for performance reasons they do no...

while the Pilot and S-03 do rate higher than the SZ50 for performance reasons they do not offer as much ride quality or tread life and the SZ50 still handles great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts