Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 E430 and the dealership had to replace the windshield because of a small pressure crack in the top center. How can you tell if they used a real MB windshield? I have heard that it has to have the signature sticker on it to be real. any truth to this? thanks<br> <br> Stinger

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the sticker, is just that, stick on. I think you have to get that and actually put it on. I'm not sure with new cars, but older ones have a small MB star etched into the glass at the bottom corner...passenger side I think, but look at both. I guess you could ask them too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way to tell if it is a genuine MB windshield is to look for the small mercedes star symbol at one of the coners.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My original windshield didn't have the star. My new windshield doesn't have it, obviously. I don't see why it HAS to be merc glass though?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All my windows are orignial from the factory and have the MB symbol on them. Maybe this is only for newer cars?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 86 S-Class has the star. I think that is pretty much universal. I guess it doesn't HAVE to be Merc glass, but you should be very weary of aftermarket glass. Aftermarket glass is often times not as thick and the fit isn't always perfect. When the fit isn't perfect, there's the chance of getting less than a perfectly tight seal = leakage. Being a regular visitor in MB forums for the past 4 months or so, I have heard of a few people that have had bad luck with non-MB glass and wish they had gone with original glass. <br>
<br>
Bottom line IMHO: Aftermarket glass may work fine if you happened to get a good brand, but why run the risk?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer sends all their people to a non mercedes window place. I went with safelite because my father I guess knows some people over there... I dunno, he told me to go with them. My stock windshield broke from me hitting the suction cup for my sun visor thing... brittle from age maybe??? I don't know, I didn't hit it that hard at all. At least not hard enough to do the damage that I did!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts