Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 sec; 2001 E430 Sport (sold); 1990 300d (gone but not forgotten); 1983 300 sd (very dead)
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

So I was interstate driving on Thursday night, exactly half way into my 5 hour journey in the middle of nowhere Florida when I couldn't avoid hitting a fragment of semi tire in the fast lane. I got off the road immediately to check the underside. Apart from some minor plastic fasteners failing under the front end, to my horror I noticed this wire hanging (see photo). Got back in and got a CEL immediately. Is this an O2 sensor or something vital? I was hoping it could just be electrical like lights, etc.

I took the risk and continued to my destination at a slower clip, monitoring gauges and mileage. Nothing seemed awry. I did have both oxygen sensors replaced last month if that impacts your opinion.

It appears I can just reconnect the 2 pieces highlighted, but I wanted to check with the experts before I screwed anything up or spent any more money on old girl this quarter. Also is this connection then reattached to something so that it does not hang?

Thanks in advance for any opinions guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, chino.

That is an O2 sensor and it IS something vital. (Looks like the Bank 1 position 2 sensor.) The female end hanging down is the sensor end, the other end is the harness end. It looks like the locking part of the clip broke out but the harness may be okay, you should be able to see the plug polarity even with that piece broken. Once you figure it out just plug it back in and see if that resolves the code (you'll have to clear the code or drive a few days). If it does, wrap some electrical tape around the connector to help it stay together and avoid moisture. If not you'll have to figure out if it jerked the wire from the sensor or damaged the connector, in that case post back and we'll give you some diagnostic tricks. (Otherwise you're good to go.)

There are little metal clips that hold it up in the U-edge of the transmission pan at the front, get under to hook it back up and you'll see the way the other one is arranged.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,209 Posts
One more proof that DIY on those cars is priceless.
Too often those things happen when you use mechanic. You could take the car back to the shop for refixing, but would you really want to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts