Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Avantgarde
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I could be in for an 'interesting' job - heater matrix seems to be leaking.
Dry weather for a week now ( rules out blocked drain pipe ? ) but after starting up and driving 30miles on the motorway on the first roundabout a cupful of water spills onto floor, this happens thru the day on bends but floor soaked anyway.
Looking at C-class manual it's a BIG job ??? Anyone do it before ? :surrender:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Side note: I love your country. Lots of sad history seeking independence, but I still love it.

If it were the heater core, it would leak whenever it was running.

I think it's likely to be the evap drain for the HVAC system. I'm on a smartphone so I can't do much to find it, but I am pretty sure there is a thread here or in the stickies about clearing it out, and it's not difficult. A search should find it (but check the stickies first).

Good luck.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,722 Posts
Second voice for checking the HVAC drain pipe. Those cars run AC even in cold weather to keep the fog out of windshield. That always generate condensation water and it has to drain somewhere.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Avantgarde
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, that'd save me a huge job if successful. Just looking at the descriptions in the forum so will try to check out in an hour or so.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1661341-evaporator-drain-tube-locations.html

Seems the tubes go from around the transmission tunnel area to the floorpan ?? The photos above are good close up but it's the 'bigger picture' I'm trying to get regarding what to remove first to access these pipes ?:confused:

There had been a musty smell I couldn't shake for a while so maybe that was causing it ?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,722 Posts
The drains ends on the top of transmission tunnel.
I went via the detailed AC system drawings and none shows them. Seems you have to do it the hard way.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Avantgarde
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went for it today and pushed some TV co-ax up thru the spout end,it seems like a condom type material with a membrane inside it. Started up and ran the car for 30mins, there was a leak from the side of the tube just above where it slots into the tunnel but when I fitted it back the leak appears to be going out into the tunnel.Will give it another run a.m. tomorrow to see if anything happens before replacing the (now dry hopefully ) carpet.
Hope it cures the problem, time and cash saved thanks to Benzworld members :bowdown::bowdown:

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...There had been a musty smell I couldn't shake for a while so maybe that was causing it?
I guess this is now obvious to you but I highly suspect the wet carpet created the musty odor.

Cheers to you and bottoms up with a pint of Guinness!

·
Registered
2000 E430 Avantgarde
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 days now, temps in the 20's :cool::cool: , no leaks or smells ;);)
One thing tho' - didn't get a gush of water when I poked the drains so maybe it had evap'd before I got to it - WAS lying in sun for 3 days before I found them :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts