Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2007 E63 AMG Estate, 2000 E430 Avatngarde Estate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've noticed this weekend that if a pull away briskly in my E430, the gear lever moves quite a bit.

My thoughts are that its worn engine mounts (Currently on around 145k) does this sound right, or could it be something else?

Gearbos was removed for a rear main seal replacement about 4k ago, but I don't think it's related.

Thanks

· Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,890 Posts
Hi,

I've noticed this weekend that if a pull away briskly in my E430, the gear lever moves quite a bit.

My thoughts are that its worn engine mounts (Currently on around 145k) does this sound right, or could it be something else?

Gearbos was removed for a rear main seal replacement about 4k ago, but I don't think it's related.

Thanks
It may or may not be related, but it looks like the rear transmission mount has a problem.

· Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,798 Posts
At that mileage I'd change the engine mounts, transmission mount, and as Alex notes, the shifter bushings. If it's been moving around, the bushings will be shot, too.

Good luck.

· Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,921 Posts
I wonder why during the gearbox repair 4,000 miles away the worn mounts were reinstalled?
I am against dropping parts in "just because" -that what stealers are for.
The transmission is connected to the shifter via electrical cable and there is only parking brake shifter making mechanical connection. Something I would check before buying new parts.

· Registered
2007 E63 AMG Estate, 2000 E430 Avatngarde Estate
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder why during the gearbox repair 4,000 miles away the worn mounts were reinstalled?
I am against dropping parts in "just because" -that what stealers are for.
The transmission is connected to the shifter via electrical cable and there is only parking brake shifter making mechanical connection. Something I would check before buying new parts.
I did wonder the same about the gearbox bush. the guy that did it is a very good indi.

In my mind, I see the engine 'twisting' with the torque. The gearbox bush is too small to counter act that motion, it's there for NVH, no? If the engine mounts were working properly, they would stop the twisting. I fsat at dle, there are no vibrations, but the car does rock from side to side very slightly.

It's interesting what you say about there being no mechanical connection between the shifter. It feels like a very mechanical shift when you mover through the gate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.