Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the CD changer be added if it was not part of the original package? Or is this part of the Sport package?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
There was a "mock" E430 Sport floating around in your neck of the woods on a private party sale offer, tread lightly until you know more.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
2001 E430 220K mi. Obsidian Black metallic, Ash/Orion Grey interior
1,252 Posts
I don't know if the CD changer was an option or not but the Sport package was just trim - different 17" wheels and the lower body trim from the E55 AMG.
Fred

Can the CD changer be added if it was not part of the original package? Or is this part of the Sport package?

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
On my 2000, it was an option but for short drives (unless you listen to the same 10 CDs) it is more trouble than it's worth. My 97 had one, probably an option, but it had a remote control with a 10' radius. This seems to be convenient for people riding in the trunk.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
4,978 Posts
for the 00-02 210s released in North America, it should be a relatively painless task to
plug one in. it's *almost* plug and play. the connection to the head unit is D2b
compliant fiber optic and the wiring was already installed (both fiber and power) to
function with the regular, Audio 30 head unit (AM, FM, Wx, cassette, changer)

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I bought my 2001 E320 used and it did not have a CD changer. For some unknown reason (I have never used it) I decided I wanted one so I found one on eBay for not much money. It didn't come with the mounting bracket so I bought one from my dealer and the they installed it for free. It was a simple install except the tech didn't know it had to be added to the D2B loop using the Star. That might be because I have factory installed COMAND/NAV. Later on that was done. Does it work or did it ever? Your guess is as good as mine. But as mentioned they are a hassle since they are mounted in the trunk and have their share of problems.

But to answer your other question: It was never part of the sport package, but it was added as standard equipment, along with a few other goodies, to the 2002 special editions.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG, 2002 ML500
127 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would want the CD changer these days, nor the cassette tape deck for that matter.

I'm pretty sure the CD changer was not part of the Sport package - that package consisted of the 17-inch wheels and AMG-style lower body trim.

My '99 E430 Sport came without a CD changer and with no evidence that one had ever been installed. I ran my VIN through the Russian VIN decoder and no option code for a CD changer showed up (I assume there'd be an option code for it if it was installed by the factory?).

I bought and added the CD changer and used it for about a year and a half.

I didn't have to do anything to code the changer into the D2B ring, I just plugged it in and it worked. I removed the factory cellular phone from the car at the same time, which was also on the D2B ring.

Later, I removed both the changer and the factory radio and put in an aftermarket stereo that has a built-in iPod interface and built-in Bluetooth handsfree for my phone. Had I thought about it, this is what I would have done in the first place.

The CD changer worked, and it did play CDs that I burned on my computer (I have an old Nakamichi player that won't). The changer did lock up once and I had to unplug it and plug it back in.

But, frankly, CD players are obsolete. I have around 4,500 songs in my iPod and it never skips or locks up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts