Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 E430: For a brake job where only pads need replacing (assuming rotors are in spec), do the rotors get turned or does MB recommend to replace rotors when pads are down to their wear limit? <br> <br> I was going through my brochure (yes, I have kept the brochure for this vehicle since I first went to the dealer to look at the car!!!) and noticed the 18' E55 AMG rims. So I began wondering: is it a simple bolt-on change to switch from my factory 17' rim to the AMG 18' without any suspension mods? What if I take out my soft riding shock/spring set-up and use the E55 Bilstein units? Will the 18' AMG rims go in? Ok, what do I have to do to the stock E430 suspension to mount the E55 AMG rims?<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add same AMG wheels you must change - Nothing! However,...

the tire sizes are not the same unless you have your fenders rolled by a body shop. The E55 tires are 245/40/18 in front and 275/35/18 rear. Without rolling the fenders you must use 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. Changing the tires will only give you the look, if you want the same E55 handling you must also change the front struts, rear shocks, front & rear springs, lower spring pads and front and rear sway bars. For best discount prices go to:<br> www.statusimports.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: To add same AMG wheels you must change - Nothing! However,...

I have the stock E55 wheel and tire size on my E430 Sport and didn't have to do any rolling. No problem so far. I understand that all 430's are rolled from the factory. Is this true? <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AMG modifies fenders of E55 to fit 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 in prevent...

...fender rub. If you have the same E55 setup with 245/40/18 up front and 275/35/18 in rear and never experienced any rubbing you are lucky or you do not drive your E430 the way a E55 is designed to be driven - hard and fast in the corners. If you drive your E430 in a quick and spirited way like a E55 the supension will bottom out and the tires will rub due to the soft supsension setup. I get left tire rub on my E430 with 235/45/17 when pushed hard while cornering and a dip in the road. If you are planning on driving hard fast and in tight corners I highly recommend you get those fenders rolled. It ain't pretty hitting a guard rail when the tire blows when cut by the metal fender!<br> <br> OT: E430 for sale - www.E55AMG.com/E430.html

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E430 Sport and E 55 fenders are the same

Hello,<br> <br> I had a 98'E430 Sport before I traded in for the 02'E55, and as far as I know the fenders are identical, E55's fenders are the same as my old E430 Sport except for the new front nose update. AND the E430 Sport's fender was also identical to my old 97'E320. Therefore, I believed there are no special treatment to the E55 fender from my own experience.<br> <br> John J

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the outer fender. The inner fender well is modified?...

I just sent a email to AMG to clarify this. I am not saying the fender is different on the outside, only modified underneath to accomdate the larger tires.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: AMG modifies fenders of E55 to fit 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 in prevent...

I have 98 E320.<br> I am thingking about buying a 245/35/19 for front and 275/30/19 for rear.<br> <br> Would 19' rub the fender?<br> Would 245 and 275 rubthe inter walls?<br> <br> So, how mach damage are we talking about for rubbing inside?<br> <br> Thanks in advance,<br> <br> Kyu

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! It is highly recommended to roll fenders on any W210 EClass model...

years 1996 - 2002 to fit 18x8 with 245/40/18 up front & 18x9 with 275/35/18 in rear.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No reply from AMG, however, Luke @ Tirerack and Bob @ Renntech say...

YES, modify the fender lips, ie. Fender Rolling to fit size 245/40 & 275/35/18.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The old school way - baseball bat, however, find a body shop which...

specializes in custom mods. They use a device called the Haweka fender roller. The paint needs to heated using a heat gun to prevent cracking. The TireRack loans the device for free (with deposit) including heat gun and video instructions. The waiting list is long I hear.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spoke with Eurotech Designs yesterday about this,

Phil at Eurotech Designs says that only 19' wheels need to rolled on the 430. He also said that the fenders on the 55 and the 430 are the same. I asked him 3 times and he said they were the same. I just don't know what to think on this. Maybe we should get the 2 cars next to each other and compare?<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought my 18" AMG monos with the E55 setup from....

Tire Rack last year and they never mention fender rolling. Zack at the Tire Rack told me the 245/40/18 and the 275/35/18 woould fit just fine. So far he's right, I haven;t had any problems.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of Opinions

Thanks for the varying opinions. I'll get to AMG and ask them what they think. As far as I can tell, the E430 sport and the non-sport versions have similar fenders. E55KEV, you mentioned modifications to the INNER fender. Does this replace rolling the outer frnder or do both have to be done?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rolling the fenders is the recommended process for all cars wanting to run ... .

certain wider sizes. The modified/different inner fender wells is strictly related to AMG models.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone have access to part numbers to see if the E55 and E320 have different...

part numbers for fenders, fender liners etc. Or access to Mercedes Tech notices. I have heard that the fender information is listed in MBZ Tech notices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts