Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the diy and posting on here and MBworld and no one addresses the removal of the alternator from a V8 E Class. I have removed the fan, fan shroud the 2 fans in front of the evaporator and I still can't get this thing out. FYI it is 115v not the 120v that most have out there. I am to the point where I may drain my radiator and remove that next all to get this damn alternator out. I can almost get it out from under the car but I have tried every angle and no luck. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
Not only you have pretty rare engine, than alternators on those cars don't fail too often.
I would suggest to repost the question in General section, where MB technicians are visiting. Also I think those engines were mounted on different models, where alternator removal could be identical.

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
I also have the 115 amp alternator sir, and I believe we have the same M119 engine. Here's what I lifted from the WIS. It looks pretty straightforward, but then having to stick half of our bodies into the already crowded engine bay is a different proposition altogether.

Having double-jointed forearms and wrists might help though.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the instructions. Was this all there was for alternator removal, nothing about taking the front of car apart and loosening the radiator, fan, fan shroud, etc?? Or is it assumed you have to take that stuff out to get to alternator?

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
The WIS would include pre-removal instructions if there are any, in this case, none. So I guess it would be safe to assume we could do without removing the other items.

And it does say remove upwards. Loosening some other stuff in the way might help, but I doubt if MB engineers complicated the engine layout to the extent of removing the radiator hoses and draining the coolant just to remove the alternator. That's an unnecessary complication even by MB standards.

Take deep breaths. Relax. Don't rush. Find something soft to vent your frustrations on before going back to it.:)

Let us know how you finally remove it, it'll be a great help to us orphans.:D

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Continuing Alternator Saga

I gave it another shot this am and again no luck. I have given up taking alternator out and I removed the voltage regulator off it and hope to find out that piece is bad and just put new one in and put it all back together and try it out. Luckily I have an identical parts car that I have been playing around with taking the alternator apart and removing it in 2 pieces, but there seems to ba a lot of crud and it doesn't separate too easily. If voltage regulator isn't the problem, my first stop tommorrow am will be to a specialty electrical shop for them to see if once I take the alternator apart in 2 pieces if they can clean, repair and I can put back in 2 pieces and assemble it when in there. Other problem is since this car is midwest car there is probably more rust, crud and corrosion all over my engine cavity and maybe it would come out easier if in nicer environment. This car has 184,000 miles but I expect to get another 50k out of it easily once I get this alternator taken care of.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
One general advice I would add is, that on aging cars the engine mounts sag quite a bit.
So it is quite possible that the engine now sits lower in the frame than it was design. Lifting engine an inch or 2 might make the job way easier?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think he meant by replacing the motor mounts (therefore raising engine) you will have more room to work.

·
Registered
36,732 Posts
Replacing motor mounts might be or not the option, but even without unbolting the mounts you can raise the engine about 1" with the rubber flex. I did it by putting strong board under oil pan and jacking it up. Reading "I can almost get it out from under the car but I have tried every angle and no luck." suggest you don't need much?

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alternator problem solved

Fellas,

Thanks for all the help, the trick was to slide the alternator all the way across the front of car, spin it a few times as you go up and voilah, out came the alternator, the replacement went in the same way in about 10 seconds and after everything was reassembled I only had 1 lonely bolt left over. I consider that a good accomplishment. Here are my next few projects, replace all four shocks, replace motor mounts and finally replacing my rear o2 sensors that have been dinging my check engine light for about 70,000 miles. When will I learn? Maybe at 250,000 miles, only 68,000 to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts