Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the torque converter drain plug on a E420 1997? I have drained the fluid and replaced the filter but because of my lack of knowledge I do not know where the torque converter is. I replaced the a/t adapter that has leaked so much in this model but I simply do not know where the converter is. Does anyone have any pictures?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Where is the torque converter drain plug on a E420 1997? I have drained the fluid and replaced the filter but because of my lack of knowledge I do not know where the torque converter is. I replaced the a/t adapter that has leaked so much in this model but I simply do not know where the converter is. Does anyone have any pictures?
Welcome to the forum, sweet. Please take a minute to click the user CP link and complete your BW profile re: vehicle and location as that can be useful information going forward.

Also, please note that you posted into the AMG forum for the W210 chassis, which is it's own interesting variant. There are some commonalities, but there is lots more information about your car in the Regular Sedan W210 forum. Scroll down further on the main page and you'll see it listed. Several DIY stickies, lots of good folks.

You have to pull the inspection cover to see the torque converter, which is a large doughnut-shaped object between the transmission and engine. Once you have the inspection cover off you will probably have to rotate the flex-plate (effectively turning the crankshaft) by hand/wrench (just don't use the starter) until you see the drain plug come into view on the T/C. Rotate the engine in the normal direction, don't turn it backwards, then when the drain plug is in the 6 O'clock position, unscrew it.

Be sure to carefully set the level properly when you are finished, these are very picky transmissions.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Please make sure that the Torque Converter seal(Crush Washer) is Replaced when you remove the drain plug ...They leak if you dont replace it ...

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You can also lever the torque converter around with a large screw driver. Using the starter is a hit or miss thing and you could be doing that for a long time until it appears. Using the screw driver method, you're right under there looking at it and can't miss it. Agree with turning it the right direction and replacing the sealing ring on both the torque converter drain plug and the transmission pan plug.

Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts