Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first convertible and my first Mercedes-Benz. I purchased a 2017 E400 Cabriolet [designo diamond white with brown cabriolet top]. The car only has 6k miles on it and was always in a garage. Why fix it if it isn't broken however should I be thinking about putting some sort of fabric protector as basic protective maintenance on the soft top? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
find a nice thick horse hair or boars hair brush: auto geek, etc. Don't use the prescribed rag top fabric cleaner. Instead use and APC Meguiers 10:1like clean with that hair brush. No pressure just back and forth develop a thick lather and dislodge stuff. Thoroughly rinse and dry with several fold thick terry cloth towels, push down and force water into the towel as you move back and forth. . Then a shop vac can to suck all the water at the seams and rubber.

Finally after a decent time for the top to dry I use RAGG Top Spray conditioner to provide extra level of water rejection. Think of it as the Rain-X for fabric. It is nice to walk out and see the summer rain running off like on paint.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,528 Posts
As with most detailing products that are used for protection &/or maintenance, everyone has a favorite.
IMO, there are two products that seem to be the most popular for your application. RaggTopp is one and the other is 303. I've used 303 for many years for various means of protection from UV rays on my cars, Harleys, RV, boat, etc.
I swear by 303 for UV and they make a protectant for soft top maintenance including water-proofing, etc.
However, for my convertible soft-fabric tops, RaggTopp is my go to product. Over the past several years, it's worked for me on several cars with soft tops and I've never had any reason to change.
BTW, I like the suggestion that Zilly mentioned, and you can get a good brush and cleaner as part of your RaggTopp purchase.
I'm guessing you' ll probably get some other suggestions, and my best advice is to do your research.
Good luck, and congrats on your "new" ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts