Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new E350 which sometimes refuses to shift into reverse from park. Shifting to drive instead and then back to reverse usually does the trick. This happens only occassionally, and of course it would not happen when I took it back to the dealer for repair. The car hasn't left me stranded yet, but it is unsettling that a brand new car seems to exhibit transmission problems like this. I wish it would just break down completely so at least the mechanic would have something to work on. When I had it in the shop, they checked for faults in the computer but there were no 'events' recorded. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. Quite literally, when I shift into reverse, nothing at all happens. It seems to be neutral. There is no noise, no lurching, nothing but still silence.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Could be just an adjustment of the sensor that tells it where the shifter is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope its something relatively simple like that. It happened to me again twice in the last two days. Both times I noticed that shifting back into park and then reverse again didn't fix it. HOwever, when I shift into drive, let the car roll forward a couple inches, and then to reverse, there is no problem. I'm not a mechanic, but that seems to be it could be indicative of something more serious in the transmission.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Is the shifter in our cars ('05 E-series) actually connected to the gearbox or is it a "fly by wire" shifter that sends signals electronically to the gearbox? So much stuff in these cars is "fly by wire" that I wonder if the shifter is also and maybe a software glitch is causing the problem you are describing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my conversation with the shop foreman at the local Mercedes dealer, it is both mechanically connected and electronically controlled, whatever that means.

Meanwhile, I left it with the dealer for an entire week. They could not reproduce the problem. Then I brought it home and for another week still no problem. Then one day it did it again. This time I had several things to look for indicated by the dealer. First, the red light by the shifter did light up next to 'R'. However, 'R' was not indicated on the dashboard. Also, the side mirrors, which normally tilt down when in reverse, did not do so. So to summarize, the shifter seemed to think it was in reverse, but the rest of the car did not.

·
Registered
2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
685 Posts
I have had a similar problem with mine. I had it for 1 week, and all of a sudden, it acted as if I intentionally downshifted.

The RPM's ran to 6k, freaking me out of course, and the car went nowhere. This happened twice.

Once, when I was traveling at ~30 mph, going straight, and the car had about 200 miles on it. I was cruising along, the car reved high had some kind of hesitation, and went back to normal. I thought that I did something, until...

I was on the 101, in traffic. Stop and go for about five miles. After a brief stop, I began to acellerate (the car was in D,C - not D,S) the car went nowhere, the tach ran to 6k and I freaked out. Took my foot completely off the gas, and as the rpm's fell down, the car grabbed a gear and launched. I braked, the car let go again, I tried to move out of my lane and pull to the shoulder, the car did a weird, lurch, then let go. The tach fell to about 500 rpm, then it went back up, grabbed a gear...it happend for about 20 seconds and then...back to normal.

I called MB with Teleaid. They said "We're sending a tow truck to send the car to the nearest dealer. Don't move an inch." So I waited and they towed the car to the nearest dealer. I grabbed a rental and went to work.

My car had 485 miles on it.

The dealer called, told me they ran a diagnostic on the car, and found a few codes. They had no idea what the codes were....

The dealer calls back 25 minutes later...

Mr. Grant, you can come pick up your car. We figured out that the codes were for a slipping transmission. We looked into the possibility of a bad actuator, air in the lines, etc., but then we ran a software update.

The probllem: "Mr. Grant, your car was somehow given engine software for a manual transmission. We flashed the memory, re-installed the software on all BIOS and RAM modules and drove the car. Everything is fine and you can pick up your car."

So I took my car and I have been driving around for one week now.

NO PROBLEMS AFTER THAT VISIT.

CALL MERCEDES, HAVE THE DEALER RUN THE SOFTWARE VERSIONS. NO MATTER WHAT SOFTWARE VERSION IS ON YOUR CAR, GET THEM TO UPGRADE IT.

2006 E350 purchased 4/21
2000 C280 special edition - for sale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts