Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 4M
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a new (for me) 2007 E3504M, 35K miles, with Sport Pkg. It has new Michelins in the MB recommended size: 245/40 R18. After 13 years in a Saab 9.5 with GY Assurance ComfortTred tires, I find these MB low profile tires give a very, very harsh ride (the story about driving over a quarter and being able to tell Heads or Tails applies!). Can anyone recommend a higher profile tire that offers a bit "softer" ride?? MTIA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem (245 40 18 front, 265 35 18 rear). Afer 35,000 KMh the noise is something unbilievable. I will buy Continental Sport Contact 3.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you get the Michelin Pilot All Seasons they have a much higher tread life and softer ride. You're right about the regular Pilots, they are like driving on solid steel tires.

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just purchased contiential extreme DWS allseason 225 55 16.They have a 540 treadwear and 50,000 mile warranty .Super quiet on the road . I live in hte north so the tread is designed for snow and wet driving.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.3
178 Posts
The car is a new (for me) 2007 E3504M, 35K miles, with Sport Pkg. It has new Michelins in the MB recommended size: 245/40 R18. After 13 years in a Saab 9.5 with GY Assurance ComfortTred tires, I find these MB low profile tires give a very, very harsh ride (the story about driving over a quarter and being able to tell Heads or Tails applies!). Can anyone recommend a higher profile tire that offers a bit "softer" ride?? MTIA.
The sport package is the main offender. Unless you roads are like a smooth race track, the standard E suspension is fine - and gives a far better ride.

Low profile tyres don't do much smoothing out anyway, it is the suspension that does this job.

·
Registered
2006 E350 Sport
68 Posts
When I bought my E350 Sport it had 26k miles on it and the road noise was just awful. I bought the Continental Extremes a few months ago and I love them so far. They are super quiet and the ride is excellent (although maybe not quite as gripy (?) as the OEM Continental Sport).

The acid test of course will be when I have another 26k on them :) However, the mileage rating is much better on the new tires so I have my fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 190SL, 07 E350 Sport
70 Posts
+1 on the Michelin Pilot A/S. The roads up in Washington State are very rough for the most part and I find the Michelin tires to be very quiet and provide a smooth ride.

·
Registered
03 ML500, 07 E350 Sport
235 Posts
Another vote for the Michelin pilot A/S plus. Switched from stock Michelins 1 year ago. So far very happy with them. Would like to replace rims with 17s if possible when it passes from my wife to me. Tire shop said off cuff might not fit because of larger brakes. Anybody know if its true? Yes, I just replaced a tire due to a mystery bubble in sidewall. These roads are very unforgiving. Not to mention these sport rims are a nightmare to clean.

·
Registered
2011 E350
1 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Tires

need some asistance on tire selection. I have a 2011 E350 and has 245/40/18" AMG wheels and had the dealer I purchased the used MB from a dealer and requested that the original new factory spec'd Continental tires be installed. 6 months later the tires were whaling on sound and also my fromt rotors were warped. I had the rotors replaced under warranty and I paid for brake pads all the way around. I also had all four tires rebalanced and another four wheel alignment done. 6 months later the steering wheel is bouncing at 50 mph when brakes are applied and again the rotor are warped. Tires are so loud that the bluetooth for cellular can no longer be used. I am looking at buying new tires tires and would like to go lower on profile and a little wider. Michellin would be my slection for all year round and I live in Minnesota. Any suggestions would be beneficial.

·
Registered
2010 ML350 4MATIC
688 Posts
There are two kinds of Continental Extreme 345/45/18 tires: the summer tires and the summer/winter tires. The summer tires are way louder than the summer/winter tires, and ride way harder on top of being more expensive and not lasting as long and inviting curve scratches to the wheels.

Generally, low profile tires are noisier and are a hard ride. I came from an older Mercedes where you could drive bad roads and still feel nothing to these 18" wheels, where I suddenly felt every crack on the freeway.

Low profile tires are mostly bought for the looks, but I think their era comes to an end, because every car has them now, and even grandma's car comes with low profile tires, and I have seen Fiat 500 with them. Once you see a look everywhere it's bound to go out of style and away.

18" were on my car when I bought it but I have been thinking going back to the original, smaller wheels.

I think a new wheel look is just around the corner. We need change. We'll probably get fatter tires, in a style of the 70s muscle cars.

OP, you might consider getting different wheels. Regular wheels are more comfortable, you safe on tire costs as well, and the handling shouldn't be much different. I mean, how often do you really throw you car around in tight corners.

I had been planning getting new wheels since I bought my car, but never got around it. But now I have two tires worn off, and El Nino is coming to California. I'll go for wheel hunt again...

I'm not sure what to buy as I'm trying to avoid untreated aluminum wheels as they are a bi*** to keep clean.

·
Premium Member
2009 ML 320 Blue Tec - 2008 ML 320 CDI - 2005 E320 CDI
254 Posts
need some asistance on tire selection. I have a 2011 E350 and has 245/40/18" AMG wheels and had the dealer I purchased the used MB from a dealer and requested that the original new factory spec'd Continental tires be installed. 6 months later the tires were whaling on sound and also my fromt rotors were warped. I had the rotors replaced under warranty and I paid for brake pads all the way around. I also had all four tires rebalanced and another four wheel alignment done. 6 months later the steering wheel is bouncing at 50 mph when brakes are applied and again the rotor are warped. Tires are so loud that the bluetooth for cellular can no longer be used. I am looking at buying new tires tires and would like to go lower on profile and a little wider. Michellin would be my slection for all year round and I live in Minnesota. Any suggestions would be beneficial.
I think your wheels are being over torqued causing the warped rotors. All it takes in one good heat cycle with too much torque/distortion and the rotors will warp. Some shops don't care and just impact the wheels on without regard for proper fastening. I make it a habit of hand re-torquing the wheels after any shop handles my vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts