Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost my old Saab wagon to a high speed meeting with a deer. I'm nearly sure the E350 wagon is going to be my next car. I'm aiming for a '11 or newer (budget probably maxes out at what I could get a high mileage '14). I would prefer the Sport of I could get it, but I'm not going to be super picky.

Things I think I know:
2012 had a more powerful version of the 3.5, from 268 to 302
2014 had a pretty major update
2011 and maybe some of 2012 had problems with the burled walnut fading
2009 and up had the 7G Tronic Plus transmission which allowed for service intervals of about 40k miles
The Sport vs Luxury package - Sport package feels more firm but doesn't actually translate to sharper handling
All wagons have self leveling rear air suspension

Things I'm not sure about:
How to identify the sport package on various model years
Why some models have 1 intake tube and some have 2 intake tubes
Does the faded burled walnut have peeling or cracked surface

Any corrections or other things to consider?

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,891 Posts
Faded trim was only on the early W212 models from 2010-2011. 2012-2013 are somewhat facelifted. But have a higher output of the 3.5 V6. 2014+ is postfacelifted. Sport vs Luxury. Luxury has the hood star on post facelifted (2014+) and sport has star in the grille. Luxury on pre facelifted has smaller wheels and less aggressive bodywork. Sport has a more firm aggressive look to it. The suspension is more firm in the sport model but not going to make it handle like a 911.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
868 Posts
Use a vin decoder like the one below to see what options the car has. Lots of times dealers/sellers don't really have a clue.

Faded wood affected mostly early 2010-2011 but it was still a problem even into the 2014 years, at least in areas that got lots of sun. Open the door and check the trim hidden by the door to see if it's the same color or not. The MB tex also tended to rip in the driver's seat and also passenger seat, but usually driver's seat more as it gets more wear and tear than passenger. While luxury might be nice, the sport models tended to have more options. The W212 is 2010-2016. The 2009 model would have been the W211. Owning both, I'd say the W212 is probably more reliable mechanically and I'd get the 2012 over a 2011 if you can just to avoid the M272 engine. That one will also have issues with the intake manifold at some point and that doesn't seem to be the case with the newer direct injection engine in the 2012+. Only drawback of that engine is the cost to replace spark plugs is a bit higher, they're easy to change on the older engine. Issues like bad door handles with keyless go in the W211 seemed to be fixed in the W212, water got inside the switches on the W211 but the handles were redesigned on the W212 so water doesn't get in. So mechanically the W212 is better but has cosmetic issues like the faded wood and ripped seat. The W211 had better cosmetic, no faded wood and no ripped seat, but mechanically more trouble prone.

Also faded wood doesn't really have any other defect, just not enough UV protectant, no peeling or cracking. The trim kit from MB is over 2k, sometimes you can find them on eBay for a few hundred but they don't seem to come up that often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips!

The 2012 engine is more reliable then? I'm reading that the balance shaft gears on the 2011 and prior can be problematic at higher mileage (most likely what I'll get). I see that you have to take the intake off for plugs on the 2012 and later engine. Doesn't look too terrible from a quick Youtube search. Still, more of a pain than prior years. Any issues with carbon buildup from being direct injected?

Is anything the 2014+ offers that really stands out?

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
868 Posts
Not sure what you read about the balance shaft gears, that mostly affected 2006 and early 2007 models, it was fixed after that. If there are issues, it's somewhat rare. More common is replacing the intake on the M272 engine, that's at higher mileage and there are youtube videos on it. The intake is around $600 but the dealer probably wants about 2k for the whole job as the MB part is about 1k. Carbon buildup doesn't seem to be an issue with that engine. The 2014+ have lots of new things, like the LED headlights and auto braking. If you want Apple carplay/Android auto you have to get 2016+.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The balance shaft gear thing was a Wikipedia entry for that engine. I might have missed if it referenced only specific years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts