Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 4Matic Sport Packge; P2; Pano Roof
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day members. I own a 2007 E350 Sport with P1 and 143,000 miles. The car is still strong and running very well. Recently I am noticing a whine from the engine. Listening as best as possible it seems to be coming from the water pump. The antifreeze fluid is about a year old and tests as normal with good color and temperature tests. If I am hearing the first signs of needing a water pump, is this s DIY project and what costs am I looking at?

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,202 Posts
Before replacing pump check all belt drive components. Shop OEM water pump part # 2722000901, gasket 2722010280 (if not included).

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
639 Posts
Remove the serpentine belt and check for bearing play in all the pulleys, how many miles? Usually a water pump going bad will first start to sling antifreeze with a tell tale odor. If the water pump goes bad while driving the impeller can cock in the housing and begin grinding away on the engine block.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all - especially konigstiger for the attachments. OT1 - good suggestion. I will remove the serpentine belt once I buy a new one. Once off I'll check the leaking, end play. But a new belt was always in the planned work.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
639 Posts
Thank you all - especially konigstiger for the attachments. OT1 - good suggestion. I will remove the serpentine belt once I buy a new one. Once off I'll check the leaking, end play. But a new belt was always in the planned work.
A Gates belt at O‘Reilly has a lifetime warranty

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,750 Posts
The Gates belts are not made in China. I actually found the Gates or Dayco belt to work and last better than the Contitech belts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOLLOWUP to whine - diagnosis points to my power steering pump causing the issue. So, any help with this replacement would be helpful. VIN # is WDBUF87X57217142. Mileage is at 141,500.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,202 Posts
VIN is 1 character short. Read through attached bulletins. Steering pump, search OEM part # 0054662001 and 005466200180.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again konigstiger. OOPS on Vin - correct # is WDBUF87X57X217142 - that second X eluded me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update - With all the help, I was able diagnose that NEITHER the water pump nor the power steering box we faulty. The belt tensioner and associated roller guides were failing. These have been replaced along with installing a new Gates belt (as recommended). No more whining and my baby is purring like new once again.
Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
2004 E320 4Matic Wagon
24 Posts
Update - With all the help, I was able diagnose that NEITHER the water pump nor the power steering box we faulty. The belt tensioner and associated roller guides were failing. These have been replaced along with installing a new Gates belt (as recommended). No more whining and my baby is purring like new once again.
Thank you all for the help.
Good to hear. I had to replace my water pump a few weeks ago on my 04 E320 wagon (148000 miles). I would suggest, since you're playing with the belt and pulleys, anyway, replace the idler pulley (assuming it hasn't been done recently). Mine went in the Summer while driving on the highway. Sudden loss of power steering and water pump are not good. It's a cheap part, and easy to replace, but when it fails the results could be catastrophic.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
851 Posts
As mentioned above the idler pulleys and tensioner are well known to go. You're lucky to get that much mileage out them. I think mine went at around the 60k mark. Thermostat too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts