Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 E320 which won't start. Key will turn 2 positions and lights fire up a lot of brake errors on the dash. I can shift gears but no crank.

I've never had this issue before and it was running fine yesterday, this morning it won't start.

Read on the forum that no start could be related to the brake light, but will the car shift into N D R gears if brake light switch is faulty? I replaced a brake light switch on my other car (a Honda) and that wouldn't go into reverse with the bad brake light switch.

I had the battery checked a couple months ago so I tend to think the battery is okay. The errors on the dash are:

ABS
Brake
BAS/ESP
!
check engine
SRS (sometimes)

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who's had similar issues.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 235K miles
10,569 Posts
I have a 2000 E320 which won't start. Key will turn 2 positions and lights fire up a lot of brake errors on the dash. I can shift gears but no crank.

I've never had this issue before and it was running fine yesterday, this morning it won't start.

Read on the forum that no start could be related to the brake light, but will the car shift into N D R gears if brake light switch is faulty? I replaced a brake light switch on my other car (a Honda) and that wouldn't go into reverse with the bad brake light switch.

I had the battery checked a couple months ago so I tend to think the battery is okay. The errors on the dash are:

ABS
Brake
BAS/ESP
!
check engine
SRS (sometimes)

I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who's had similar issues.
The first thing I would try is to use another key or the valet key (if you have any).

If you do not have a spare key, life gets a bit difficult in identifying the problem. It could be a defective keyfob, ECU issue, starter relay issue, starter, etc..

I would also check the battery status again, because in a couple of months since the battery was checked a lot of things can happen (for example a weak alternator). The battery can read 12+ volts but not enough to start the car (due to surface charge). Turn the headlights on for 30 seconds and then measure the voltage.

What is the mileage on the car ?

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mrboca thanks for the reply.

I have 2 keys for the Benz and have tried both. The mileage on the car is around 55,000 miles.

Do the brake, ABS lights etc illuminate for all starter errors, I was thinking of looking down that route but I'll have another look at the battery as you suggest. I'll have to get AAA down here or smth to take another look at it.

The thing about the battery however is that it would still try to turn the engine unless it was completely dead right? I drove the car probably 12-14 hours before I tried it today and didn't notice anything, that would be a wicked quick drain.

I'm thinking about picking up a bluetooth OBD2 scanner to pull the code from the car (to hook up to my phone), if you have any recommendations,

thx

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
8,460 Posts
Bad EIS or bad starter.

Check battery.

ABS and ESP lights will turn on when you turn to ignition 2, regardless of starter issue or not. They will shut off a few seconds after the car turns on.

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 235K miles
10,569 Posts
mrboca thanks for the reply.

The thing about the battery however is that it would still try to turn the engine unless it was completely dead right? I drove the car probably 12-14 hours before I tried it today and didn't notice anything, that would be a wicked quick drain.

I'm thinking about picking up a bluetooth OBD2 scanner to pull the code from the car (to hook up to my phone), if you have any recommendations,

thx
Our cars' electronics do not like anything less than 11 Volts at their power ports. So if you battery is not up to par your car will not crank.

I have a BAFX bluetooth OBD2 adapter you can buy it from Amazon, and I use TorquePro application on my android phone (I paid $5 for it years ago but lite version is free to download and use)

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our cars' electronics do not like anything less than 11 Volts at their power ports. So if you battery is not up to par your car will not crank.

I have a BAFX bluetooth OBD2 adapter you can buy it from Amazon, and I use TorquePro application on my android phone (I paid $5 for it years ago but lite version is free to download and use)
I'll definitely check that out. TBH it'll be a relief if low battery is the issue and it ends at that instead of EIS etc.

I ordered a very similar OBD2 to the one you recommend, but compatible with IOS

Amazon.com: Car WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Foseal Scanner Adapter Check Engine Diagnostic Tool for iOS & Andorid: Automotive

I've heard good things about Torque as well. I'll update this thread if I get a resolution or with updates. Thx for the replies so far y'all

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it looks like the battery was the problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if I hit the "rest" key on my AC until it displays "1" and then cycle pressing the "auto" button until I get item 24, my model (E320 year 2000) will display voltage right? It's reading 7-8.

I'm thinking of hooking up a trickle charger. Can I hook it up to the points under the hood like a jump or does it have to go directly into the battery in the back seat?

Also on my model, the + is under a protective hood on the driver's side, and from my manual it looks like the - is a point that simply sticks up in front of it (the bow side in nautical terms), but there's no markings and no hood. Just want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,488 Posts
hooking up a charger under the hood is fine. I do that most of the time. the
reason I may want to connect directly is to observe fluid level and take a
hydrometer reading once a year or so (flooded cell design). i have a trickler
on it via the engine compartment connections right now.

Well it looks like the battery was the problem.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if I hit the "rest" key on my AC until it displays "1" and then cycle pressing the "auto" button until I get item 24, my model (E320 year 2000) will display voltage right? It's reading 7-8.

I'm thinking of hooking up a trickle charger. Can I hook it up to the points under the hood like a jump or does it have to go directly into the battery in the back seat?

Also on my model, the + is under a protective hood on the driver's side, and from my manual it looks like the - is a point that simply sticks up in front of it (the bow side in nautical terms), but there's no markings and no hood. Just want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
544 Posts
There is no problem with trying to charge the battery, but there is likely a reason it went dead. If you don't correct that cause it will just happen again. If you know you left something on, like the trunk light, then you may have no further problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.