Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
This is my first post on Benzworld.:D
I've been watching, reading and learning over the past month. I used to own a 91 300TE and now have a '85 280SE (recent purchase).

The reason for the post is that I'm thinking of selling my '05 Yukon XL Denali and getting a '98-'02 wagon. Is there anything in particular that I should look for or steer clear of?

I see plenty of wagons coming on the market in the 100,000 mile range. Do these cars get the same wear and tear as the mid ‘80s cars – expected lifetime?

The forum has been a great help! Thanks to all for the posts!:bowdown:
 

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
Joined
·
31,631 Posts
Herman_the_German said:
Hi all!
This is my first post on Benzworld.:D
I've been watching, reading and learning over the past month. I used to own a 91 300TE and now have a '85 280SE (recent purchase).

The reason for the post is that I'm thinking of selling my '05 Yukon XL Denali and getting a '98-'02 wagon. Is there anything in particular that I should look for or steer clear of?

I see plenty of wagons coming on the market in the 100,000 mile range. Do these cars get the same wear and tear as the mid ‘80s cars – expected lifetime?

The forum has been a great help! Thanks to all for the posts!:bowdown:
Welcome to the forum!

A good friend of mine is a huge Denali fan (at one point he owned all three versions...) so he'd be crushed at your post. :)

In any event, I'm not aware of any significant problems that specific to the wagons (i.e., that are different from those seen in the sedans). If you've been lurking that long then you already know the things to look for.

Nevertheless, I've said this countless times and will continue to say it, I would never purchase a vehicle as complex as an MB (unless it was CPO) without having it closely inspected by someone very familiar with the marque. The hundreds you spend here may save you thousands and will certainly save you some headaches.

Last, as far as longevity goes, I'd have to generally thing that the newer generation cars will probably not have quite the longevity of the older ones. Those things were simpler in almost every way and were built like battleships (or tanks, choose your metaphor). That said, you're automatically going to be buying the high-mileage vehicle if you go into the older generations. So for example you compare an '01 wagon with 70,000 on the clock or a 94 with 150,000, or an '85 with 250,000 miles, I'd think the newer one will run longer than the older one, all other things being equal. Plus with the newer car you get a fresher look and extra bells and whistles. Either way, you'd have to get it inspected. (Sorry to harp on that, but it's really important.)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
 

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
Joined
·
1,919 Posts
Herman,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. The wagon will be nicer to you at the pump. Post Pics when you have your new baby.
 

·
Registered
1998 E300D
Joined
·
349 Posts
Herman_the_German said:
The reason for the post is that I'm thinking of selling my '05 Yukon XL Denali and getting a '98-'02 wagon. Is there anything in particular that I should look for or steer clear of?

I see plenty of wagons coming on the market in the 100,000 mile range. Do these cars get the same wear and tear as the mid ‘80s cars – expected lifetime?
They go thru parts like all the other cars. The W210 cars seem to be hungry for front end components.

I'd look for an '02 or '03 wagon. Get the newest within your budget. Try to get the VMI so you can see what warranty claims have been made against prospective cars, review written service history.

We've put about 42k miles on our car so far. Very nice machine when everything is "right".
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
acarter53 said:
Herman,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. The wagon will be nicer to you at the pump. Post Pics when you have your new baby.
It could be a while....but I'll be sure to keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uberwgn said:
They go thru parts like all the other cars. The W210 cars seem to be hungry for front end components.

I'd look for an '02 or '03 wagon. Get the newest within your budget. Try to get the VMI so you can see what warranty claims have been made against prospective cars, review written service history.

We've put about 42k miles on our car so far. Very nice machine when everything is "right".
Thanks, that's a great idea.:)
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gregs210 said:
Welcome to the forum!

A good friend of mine is a huge Denali fan (at one point he owned all three versions...) so he'd be crushed at your post. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
I've enjoyed having it and like the size, but I'm so tired of the note that comes with it.

Maybe your buddy would like this..
I drove it into a tree and now I have to sell it

I had someone send me an email today wondering how much it's going for since it's damaged....LOL :surrender: I guess they didn't look at the attached pictures.
 

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
Joined
·
37,256 Posts
I think with your sense of humor you'll be just fine on this forum. :D
We love our wagon so much, that even it originated as my workwagon, the nice ride and versatility, not to mention fuel economy made us leaving ML at home and taking wagon on vacations.
That is always a trouble for me, since I normally have rear seats remover and made plywood "liners" for whole rear, so when I haul a garbage it doesn't spill on the floor.
Anyway, vacations are always good occasion to clean beige interior.
From what I heard wagons actually have less problems than sedans. Supposable front perches are reinforced here, when they are weak points on sedans.
I had bad luck to 4-Matic front CV joint, but doesn't look like this is common problem.
I bought my wagon over the Internet 2500 miles from home and just drove it right home. Don't think I would take such a chance with 5-years old Chevrolet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
My wife wanted something smaller and more fuel thrifty than our 2003 Tahoe Z71 (very nice vehicle, but 13 MPG under almost all possible circumstances) so I searched for three months and finally found a 2002 4Matic at a Lexus dealership in Atlanta and settled on $16,400.

During the search I saw a lot of way overpriced cars and also a lot of reasonably priced cars ... surprisingly, many were in extremely poor condition and the condition was independent of the price - some very nice cars were reasonable and some awful cars were way over priced.

The car has been very nice so far - averaging about 19-20 around town - probably around 25 or so on the highway. Very nice on the highway - OK in snow, but not as confident as my 2007 Ford 500 AWD company car.

If you do a search will find front end issues as most common area of concern.

One of the toughest things was to find one with operable displays - dash, AC and radio were shot in many, many cars ... complete nonsense on this kind of vehicle.
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kajtek1 said:
I think with your sense of humor you'll be just fine on this forum. :D
made us leaving ML at home and taking wagon on vacations.
I had bad luck to 4-Matic front CV joint, but doesn't look like this is common problem.
Thanks.
I used to have a ML too. I wasn't so happy with the wind noise and everything felt overly plastic - just cheap. It was a '99 and I believe - at least for the wind noise - the problems were addressed.
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stephenson said:
My wife wanted something smaller and more fuel thrifty than our 2003 Tahoe Z71 (very nice vehicle, but 13 MPG under almost all possible circumstances) so I searched for three months and finally found a 2002 4Matic at a Lexus dealership in Atlanta and settled on $16,400.

During the search I saw a lot of way overpriced cars and also a lot of reasonably priced cars ... surprisingly, many were in extremely poor condition and the condition was independent of the price - some very nice cars were reasonable and some awful cars were way over priced.

The car has been very nice so far - averaging about 19-20 around town - probably around 25 or so on the highway. Very nice on the highway - OK in snow, but not as confident as my 2007 Ford 500 AWD company car.

If you do a search will find front end issues as most common area of concern.

One of the toughest things was to find one with operable displays - dash, AC and radio were shot in many, many cars ... complete nonsense on this kind of vehicle.
Thanks for the info.

I'm seeing the same as you are. I see the huge price difference on basically the same car.

Years ago, I was told that the 4matics were problematic. So that's not true anymore? I guess it was in the late '80s to early '90s cars.

I've also seen several examples on ebay or autotrader that have bad displays.

Thanks again..
 

·
Registered
1998 E300D
Joined
·
349 Posts
I suspect the defective pixel problem affects the broad population. It's too bad.

Yeah, early 4MATICs and the contemporary version have little in common, thankfully. The new system is simplistic in comparison and I don't really hear of the widespread issues the early cars suffered from.
 

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Joined
·
3,490 Posts
There are a few things you don't get in a '99 that you do get in a 2000 and up. These include:

1) ESP (electronic stability program)
2) Rear door airbags
3) Touch-gate auto transmission
4) Steering wheel mounted radio controls

Here is a valuable site that lists a great deal of information on the W210. I used it to understand the difference when I bought ours, a 2000.

1996-2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Prices and Review
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
We just dumped our Expedition for a 2002 E320 Wagon. It's the best thing we've ever done and couldn't be happier. We bought a CPO car from a dealer here in california. probably paid a bit more than we should have but got the extended warranty from MBZ to 100k miles and paid 22.5k plus tax and license. The car is about 9 out of 10 and everything works. It is not our first choice of colors though but is fine. It is that desert silver over java... good luck!

-jb
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jlomon said:
There are a few things you don't get in a '99 that you do get in a 2000 and up. These include:

1) ESP (electronic stability program)
2) Rear door airbags
3) Touch-gate auto transmission
4) Steering wheel mounted radio controls

Here is a valuable site that lists a great deal of information on the W210. I used it to understand the difference when I bought ours, a 2000.

1996-2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Prices and Review
:thumbsup: Thanks for the link and the info.
 

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
Joined
·
674 Posts
Herman, it is a small world: the '99 at Global Imports in Nashville: I just happened to have looked at the car a couple hours ago. Their sales location is about 4 miles from me & I stop at least once a week to see what they have. This is a nice car that has just been out for about 10 days. They had an '01 & an '03 wagon, both in silver, out earlier this week. Those were not on the line, however, their shop is about 4 miles away in an industrial area so they may still have them. Vince is a friend of mine & is extremely MB knowledgeable & has even worked at our local MB dealer. I did not sit in the car though it was unlocked, will be glad to take a closer look if you'd like.
I noticed the night before that Mercedes Benz of Nashville has a white/tan '00 E320 wagon with 99,900 miles on it with a tag for $15,900. It appeared to be in excellent condition.
 

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon \ 2000 S430 \1985 280SE...SOLD...\1990 300TE...SOLD...\1999 ML430
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
johnamoss said:
Herman, it is a small world: the '99 at Global Imports in Nashville: I just happened to have looked at the car a couple hours ago. Their sales location is about 4 miles from me & I stop at least once a week to see what they have. This is a nice car that has just been out for about 10 days. They had an '01 & an '03 wagon, both in silver, out earlier this week. Those were not on the line, however, their shop is about 4 miles away in an industrial area so they may still have them. Vince is a friend of mine & is extremely MB knowledgeable & has even worked at our local MB dealer. I did not sit in the car though it was unlocked, will be glad to take a closer look if you'd like.
I noticed the night before that Mercedes Benz of Nashville has a white/tan '00 E320 wagon with 99,900 miles on it with a tag for $15,900. It appeared to be in excellent condition.
Thanks for taking a look at it and getting back on the board with the information. I sent them an email from their website but they never replied. Maybe they don't want a Yukon.:crybaby2: I'd have to trade to get rid of my car. I really am leaning towards a black car. They look so much better with aftermarket stuff. And the price looked pretty good for the '99.
I went to my local repair shop and they also have a wagon for sale. It's a silver '02 with 112k for about 15k. Not a bad price either.

So if you are by there anyway - certainly no special trip for me - take a look and see what you think.


Thanks again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
acarter53 said:
Herman,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. The wagon will be nicer to you at the pump. Post Pics when you have your new baby.
why would a wagon be better at the pump?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top