Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... just did some very needed work to my mother's E320 wagon. I did brakes on all 4 corners, tie rods, and front shocks. We bought a set of shocks for the rear but they are standard and it seems we have the hydropneumatic setup.

My Performance Products catalog says that the hydropneumatic system can be maintained instead of replaced. The rear shocks feel worn out. Not stiff at all like this little tidbit describes, but plain worn out.

What do I need to replace? I see 'oil and filter' in the catalog, but it also noted replacing the 'air cells' if needed.

Where are all these components located? I have the car apart and want to get it back together if I can and tackle the rear shock maintence later on. Any DIYs out there? My local auto parts store has no import manuals :)

Please help... I can't and don't want to spend the money for the dealership to do this.

Evan

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
A thorough flush should suit the car well if the rears are not leaking. I had the dealer do mine on the 500 so I didn't pay attention to the procedure. Make sure you use FEBI Bilstein hydraulic fluid only. Also use an O.E. filter. I am not sure on the proper procedure for flushing the system. I believe the fluid resevoir is in the engine compartment and the filter fits in the bowl just like the P.S. resevoir. Call Mercedes or search online for a factory CD Rom for the 124 estate.
They look like a speedo dial and are available if you search. I am assuming yours is a 124 and not a 210??

Keep us posted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redwood - 5/12/2005 7:58 PM

A thorough flush should suit the car well if the rears are not leaking. I had the dealer do mine on the 500 so I didn't pay attention to the procedure. Make sure you use FEBI Bilstein hydraulic fluid only. Also use an O.E. filter. I am not sure on the proper procedure for flushing the system. I believe the fluid resevoir is in the engine compartment and the filter fits in the bowl just like the P.S. resevoir. Call Mercedes or search online for a factory CD Rom for the 124 estate.
They look like a speedo dial and are available if you search. I am assuming yours is a 124 and not a 210??

Keep us posted
Thanks for posting!

Nothing is leaking. I did a thorough check of everything while trying to identify the components. I cracked open then line on one of the rear shocks and the fluid that (shot) out was drak brown and foamy. I did find the fluid resevior and filter in the engine bay.

Can you reccomend a good place to crack open in order to drain the fluid?

I am going to order some fluid, a filter and some other misc items this week. We got the car aligned today and it's 100% better than before. A few more things to take care of, but this car is really clean for a 94.

Evan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts