Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S430
48 Posts
Possible overheating

My '96 E320 sat for 17 days while I was out of town. I drove it home on the highway but once I got into the city the temp started climbing to 105. the fans did not kick in to bring it back down to the normal range.

Later I was able to put in a half gallon of water and have been monitoring the fluid level for 3 weeks with normal temps until yesterday. Driving in the city the temp climbed to 105 again but once on the highway it dropped to 85.

My MB mechanic told me sometimes when these cars sit for 2 weeks or more then water pump will leak, then later reseal itself and stop leaking.

I am now wondering, are the fans becoming intermittent or do I have another issue here.

Any thoughts or ideas? Flush the system and refill? :cool:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
Don't you have low coolant warning light in your model?
If the water pump reseal itself, it is not going to do it for long.
Get yourself ready for pump replacement.

·
Registered
1998 E320
196 Posts
Holy Cow!!!

Wow... this thread is all over the place. The temp regularly climbs to the exact same point as in the images in this thread. The fan rarely kicks in and I live in Key West where the humidity and temperature push the heat index to well over 115 on a regular basis. Stop and go traffic are the norm.

1998 E320 with 234,000 miles on the original engine, tranny and radiator with no concerns whatsoever about the temp pushing the needle slightly higher than the "level" mid point of the gauge. This is nothing to be worried about. My temp gauge did the exact same thing in VA during the winter. Get over it. It is normal. Drive and be happy. You are fine.:eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I would differ what is normal and what is acceptable.
Normal for me is the engine temperature operating +- 5C around thermostat setting.
Temperature shooting to 97C indicate the system is doing inadequate job and emergency fan has to kick in.
This is acceptable as that is what that extra fan is for, but beside being indication of system deterioration, it will cost you in extra fuel money to power the fans.
This is picture of my diesel driven with engine fan removed and that is how I know my cooling system is efficient the way MB design it.

'

·
Registered
1 Posts
guys. my car is a w124 Mercedes e320 1995. the car has always run hot until I replaced the fan clutch. the thing is that these clutches will wear out over time and begin to slip when you are on idle. they might look fine on the outside but they are the culprit to your overheating. ONLY REPLACE WITH OEM PART. it will cost a bit more but so worth the money because of its configuration. it will make your engine run way cooler and will rarely go over the 90 degree mark. I know, I live in the Bay Area where temperatures spike over 100 F quite often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So...I have been trying to troubleshoot this temperature issue. The car was in the shop for some suspension work and I mentioned the issue: high coolant temp at stop and go traffic gets close to a 100, but does not quite hit it. The temperature goes back to above 80 at highway speeds. Thermostat got replaced...Coolant is flushed...The issue is still here. The question is is this normal? (take a look at the photo)

Many other members have mentioned similar issues...Do these cars run hot? I know that the thermostat opens fully at 95 degrees...But isn't this temp supposed to be somewhat stable? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 2000 e320 4matic and that's about the same as mine. I have not had it go above that, but it does catch the eye. It really only hits 90c when I'm stopped at a light for a long period of time, or in traffic. Once I'm moving again it drops back down to 80c. Seems normal for the 4matic from what I have seen.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts