Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300CE, Engine M104, (2002 E320 4matic Wagon—Retired)
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks Kajtek. I can not quite figure out whats what without the labels. What is 12 vs 2 vs 6?

I know that my rec pump is not working. I found a code for it. Could that have any influence on the temp issue?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Deli: I think you're chasing a ghost with that diagram. Useful for others with more general issues, but look at the facts.

You know the radiator cools and the water pump works and the thermostat opens, because flying down the road you're fine. The issue is when you's stuck in traffic, there's no air moving through the radiator, right? But if you manually power up the fan, it cools down.

Hellllloooo, McFly!?!? :D

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
the auxillary fan by design doesn't kick in to lower temp until reaching 105C temp, and op's temp in this case is slightly above 90C. imo fan has nothing to do with this situation. if it kicks in and temp gauge is below 105C, that's because ac compressor pressure has built up so fans kick in to lower the pressure, lower pressure results in more refrigerant flow and faster temp drop, colder air through the vents. so if the cooling system is working fine and you live in a cold area or never turn ac on then you will never hear them come on.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
Thanks Kajtek. I can not quite figure out whats what without the labels. What is 12 vs 2 vs 6?

I know that my rec pump is not working. I found a code for it. Could that have any influence on the temp issue?
12 radiator
2 washer heater
6 cabin heater.
Rec pump does not affect temperature of working engine. Only cabin and washer heaters.

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
To further muddy the waters,

This is 75 degree day no wind car in park no A/C idle.

This is 75 degree day no wind car in park A/C on idle.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
For me to go that high would take keeping gas pedal on the floor for several minutes, while climbing steep grade on reduced gear with 105F outside. And my engine fan blades are supporting garage wall. ;)
But mind diesel convert most of the fuel in mechanical energy, while gasoline engine using 60% of fuel for heat generating, is more heater than anything else.
It is expected that cooling system becoming more than 10 years old will loose some efficiency. I am good with 1 year old radiator. So if your car start seeing 100C more and more often, get the radiator flush from the dealer (there is a topic about it) or start putting money for new radiator.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
kajtek, gassers show that temp from day 1. it seems that diesels run a little cooler. i remember my temp would stay around 80C prior to water pump going bad, but after pump and thermostat replacement temp went at 90C.

·
Registered
36,707 Posts
I drove E320 4-M wagon and the temperatures never went that far. That was the one with single electric fan only. I don't recall hearing the fan on high even parked on desert.
But the car was 6 years old at the time.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
To further muddy the waters,

This is 75 degree day no wind car in park no A/C idle.

This is 75 degree day no wind car in park A/C on idle.
Exactly the same on my E320 (just below 100) when stopped in traffic. Even slightly higher on my SLK 320 (smaller radiator).
Remember that MB always show the actual temperature of the coolant and not just a 'feel-good' indication like some other models. For example on my son's Miata, the temperature gauge only has 3 positions: cold, normal and over-heating. Yes, the gauge has the full graduations, but if you investigate, that is the only 3 positions the gauge will ever stop at. :eek: I guess the reason they do that is for people who are over-sensitive to seeing guage-fluctuations. But just think how they are missing out on unnecessary replacements. ;)
My guess is that is also why MB stopped fitting oil pressure gauges to the cars. I've noticed the same sort of panic when the oil pressure dropped on idle when it was still fitted.
Of course you can always buy a W203 (C-Class) - they don't even have a temperature gauge, so nothing to worry about. :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Since when? Any I've driven have had a temp gauge.
I drove a RH steering 2006 C180 in South Africa on my last trip there. No fixed temp gauge like on the W210, but there is a display you can call up using the control buttons on the steering wheel that show the coolant temperature in the display in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,726 Posts
it's normal, I have the E320 4MATIC sedan, 2000 year model. I hit 110C on a southern california highway, it was 45C outside at that time, and I was going 80MPH.... very hot.. haha, but my car has no problem at all...

·
Registered
1 Posts
you need a CPS and/or check your crankshaft harmonic balancer

Love the internet because you can get so much info. This is a common problem with mb and should be considered a recall problem instead of a consumer problem. I went to several mechanics who told me that the diagnostic showed no results or errors and was sent away each time, however, what you are describing is EXACTLY what happened to me. I visited several consumer/problem sites which all showed the same problem and there were people who just didnt get it just like in many of your responses. The picture you shared was my cut off point too. I was thinking omg, that is what happened to me and all of the smart people in the universe were telling me oh...its nothing...just put water in it...just let it sit. So...dont listen to them. Have your mechanic check your crank position sensor, crank balancer pulley/shaft, crankshaft harmonic balancer(damper pulley), or others connected to this area are the faulty cam and air mass sensor. The CPS is inexpensive and easy to install. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Love the internet because you can get so much info. This is a common problem with mb and should be considered a recall problem instead of a consumer problem. I went to several mechanics who told me that the diagnostic showed no results or errors and was sent away each time, however, what you are describing is EXACTLY what happened to me. I visited several consumer/problem sites which all showed the same problem and there were people who just didnt get it just like in many of your responses. The picture you shared was my cut off point too. I was thinking omg, that is what happened to me and all of the smart people in the universe were telling me oh...its nothing...just put water in it...just let it sit. So...dont listen to them. Have your mechanic check your crank position sensor, crank balancer pulley/shaft, crankshaft harmonic balancer(damper pulley), or others connected to this area are the faulty cam and air mass sensor. The CPS is inexpensive and easy to install. Good luck.
WTF??? :eek:

·
Registered
1999 E320 Sedan
494 Posts
Since I got my 1999 E320, the coolant temperature used to be stable at 79 to 80°C on steady highway drives (on cooler days sometimes rather at 78°C). In stop-and-go traffic it usually went up a few degrees, sometimes, on warm days, slightly above 90°C.

Recently, however, I flushed the cooling system and replaced the coolant (using Zerex G05). Because the car has more than 180k miles, I also replaced the thermostat with a new, proper Mercedes OE thermostat--a "Wahler" 87°C thermostat, the exact same as the old one that had been installed at the factory. Since then, engine temperatures have shifted upward. On longer rides, the coolant temperature now shows about 85-86°C, and at red lights or in stop-and-go traffic it goes up to the mid-90s, sometimes close to 100°C.

I take it that the old thermostat was opening a bit too early, and that the engine is now working at optimal temperatures. The observation that fuel economy also went up a bit would support this.

As a side note, it would not occur to me to put anything other than Mercedes-approved coolant and distilled water into my cooling system.

·
Registered
2001 C320 W203 Black on Black. 1997 E320 W210 Silver (RIP). 1995 E320 W124 Pearl Black.
595 Posts
You can use the CC (Climat control) to monitor it in real time. Press "Rest" until the CC show 1 and the Temp. on the right end and the press Auto (left side) till you reach 6 and leave it there you will see the actual real time temp going up and down relate to driving and stopping. If it not go over 110 I would not worried about it at all.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts