Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a prime condition 1994 E320 with the premium sound system. Today the radio went bonkers. It comes on when you turn on the engine, but step on the gas and it goes off. Stop at a light and it goes back on, accelerate and it goes off. I do not detect any other equipment malfunctioning. Needless to say as a music lover I find this to be very annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be happening? I am thinking of disconnecting the battery and then reprogramming the radio when I reconnect using the code

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too bought a prime condition 1994 e320 ( mine is a cabriolet)with 75000 original miles. I have come to realize it is a 11 year old vehicle in need of repairs. A new head gasket, wiring harness, water pump, 2 tires , front brake pads and calipers,and today I just finished a new top with new glass, are a few of the upgrades(some necessary and some just to make it right)..did i mention new motor mounts ... . This brings us to the radio... it is the original cassette with 6 disc cd player .. everything works , but not well.. When the car hits a bump in the road the cd player quits ..silence ...for several seconds... and then comes back on sans the right side of the stereo system. It only resets if I restart the car, although the car radio stereo will still operate..but the sound is still only 40% of what my 2004 Ford Expedition puts out. The speakers have some static and distortion when punched up just a bit... I would recommend a new sound system, which I intend to do after I replace my peeling chrome after market wheels...

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
The problems in the audio system are caused by intermittant solder connections between the receptacle the vehicle harness plugs into (both power and input/output) and its connections on the circut board. The connections on older equipment become crystalized and develop minute fractures around the point the wires or pins enter the circut board due to age, temperature cycling and vibration. All you need to do is carefully re-heat and resolder those connections. Resolder ALL connection points because the damaged solder joints range from openly visable to microscopic.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
19 Posts
I have 1995 E320 Cab. I see you have the 94. I am looking to do some upgrades and was wondering if you considered or have done any. If so what have you done. I am looking to do:
1- Keyless entry
2- Cup holders
3- ????
Any suggestions on what to do or what not to do.
TKS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts