Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Finally got a chance to check the car. Didn’t have a voltmeter to get readings but did get power registered on the basic tester that I have. The fuses had power The PSE still is not powering on. I have replaced the k40 and picked up multiple CCMs to see if ccm is the issue. I think the PSE problem is the root of my problems. Anyone have any ideas on getting power to it? Will the Mercedes scanner find the error of i I put it in the shop?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,678 Posts
All the fuses (except the spare ones) should have power on them at both sides of the fuse, all the time (as long as the battery is connected). Once you establish that, the next step is to check that there is power at the PSE connector (at the end of power lead). If there is power there too (and also a good ground at the ground connector), then the PSE is bad.

If you have power on the fuses in the rear fuse panel, you may have grounding issues. The PSE is grounded at right front seat cross-member.

The scan tool cannot tell you what the problem is, if the module is not powered up. If it receives power but somewhat it is not working, you may be able to get some fault codes.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Is there any PSE information out there as far as diagram of which connector supplies power?

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Checked the connectors. Two connectors on one side of the pump is receiving power and the other two connectors n the other side show no power.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Which ones ? You only need to look at ONE connector with 4 pins with wiring colors red/white and red/green (thicker). They should have 12V with respect to Brown wire (ground) in the same connector. You may be missing a ground, so measure between brown wire pin and the other two above. This will make sure the PSE gets power and ground. Also measure the resistance between the brown wire connector pin and the chassis ground. It should be close to 0 ohms.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I don’t have a two sided tester the two connectors shown didn’t register any power with the probe I have. The four prong thick wire connector had power and the other connector next to it had power.
The ones showing didn’t register any power

Which ones ? You only need to look at ONE connector with 4 pins with wiring colors red/white and red/green (thicker). They should have 12V with respect to Brown wire (ground) in the same connector. You may be missing a ground, so measure between brown wire pin and the other two above. This will make sure the PSE gets power and ground. Also measure the resistance between the brown wire connector pin and the chassis ground. It should be close to 0 ohms.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
What is a two sided tester ? Just connect the multimeter red lead tip to the prongs where red/white and red/green wires terminate and the black lead tip to the brown wire. If the red/white and red/green wires have power (12V), and you do not hear the PSE pump running when you press the remote to lock / unlock the doors., then the PSE is bad.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
What is a two sided tester ? Just connect the multimeter red lead tip to the prongs where red/white and red/green wires terminate and the black lead tip to the brown wire. If the red/white and red/green wires have power (12V), and you do not hear the PSE pump running when you press the remote to lock / unlock the doors., then the PSE is bad.
My tester is just a probe tester that connects to the battery not a multimeter.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Took my car to an independent shop
They couldn’t figure out the problem.. this is frustrating.. seems like this could be a simple fix or a headache... will give it another shot before I get rid of it.. I was able to drive the car home. The turn signals,windows,sunroof and power door locks don’t work. The pse pump that was supposed to be new isn’t getting power or is bad.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts