Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,678 Posts
Check the linked thread out.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/2774842-w210-wet-underhood-electronics.html

The other area is the ground terminal G203 where the CCM is grounded . The G203 is located at the right (passenger) footwell. Pull the carpet at the firewall side. Remove the steel door. Look for the terminal where the brown wires go . Also check at the CCM side, especially if you have traces of water contamination in the module box.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just checked everything and now the car won’t start at all. The battery just clicks when I turn the key. I even took out the fuse for the alarm to see if the alarm would go off and still no start

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok I changed the battery to a better battery. The car won’t start now. I turn the key and get a clicking noise. Is this the starter? Could the combination control module cause this? Car was cranking fine now I can’t crank it. Any idea what this could be

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
While turning the key it makes a constant clicking noise. Do you have a diagram for the starter system?

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks! I will check it out this evening. What's the best way to get to the starter? Is it one the left (driver's side of the car) or the right side? I'm thinking there may be a ground issue somewhere based on the car sitting for some time and corrosion may be somewhere

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
1,032 Posts
Sounds like the better battery isn’t better or in any case not good enough. Could also be poor battery connections. There’s enough juice to move the bendix gear but not enough to turn the motor. The clicking is the motor trying to turn.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got the problem solved with the battery. The negative cable was corroded at the bolt to the chassis. My windows, sunroof, central locking system, windshield wiper, seat adjustment and turn signals are not working. I removed the fuse for the alarm system while the car was running then plugged it back in and the alarm light stopped flashing

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Put in the different module. My radio works but the alarm light doesn’t show on the dash. No central locking no windows or sunroof operation. The turn signals still don’t work and the windshield wipers don’t work.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,194 Posts
Do you know the year and model of the car, that the module came from? The different module may need to be coded for your car.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Have a look at the connection diagram. Everything you mention goes through the CCM. Is the new one behaving any different from the old one ? Have you checked the CCM fuses ? Have you disconnected the battery and reconnect ?

The CCM need to be version coded if it did not come from a W210.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The module came from an e320 from a salvage yard. What fuses powers the module? Are there any regulators related to the module?

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Is there a CAN Bus on this car or wiring on the right passenger side that could have been affected by the accident? Could the items affected simply be not communicating with CCM?

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
The power window switches and motors are hardwired to the CCM for your model (over the CAN bus for 1998 and later. So if the CCM has power (both always hot, and hot when key is in position 1/2), the power windows should work. It appears that the CCM is not receiving either always on power, or key in run power, or both. As I mentioned several times, check the fuses per power distribution diagram. If the are OK and they have power, you may have power or ground wiring issue at the front passenger end, due to the accident.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts