Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 E320. The car has sat for some time. It was damaged from an accident and I have repaired the damage(another story). The car was running but hard to start so I replaced the battery. Before the battery was replaced the car ran but the windows and sunroof would not open. With the new battery the car will run but the windows, sunroof, central locking system, mirrors and seat adjusters don’t work. The alarm light flashes on the dash while the car is running then the alarm goes off. There is as clicking noise near the battery prior to the alarm going off.
This is crazy. The car wasn’t doing this before the battery was changed.
Can anyone help me figure this out?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,041 Posts
measure voltage of the battery - report back. and/or, disconnect the battery again, wait,
reconnect and check to see if the systems reboot and function properly. kind of an
Alt-Ctrl-Del action

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,144 Posts
I have a 1997 E320. The car has sat for some time. It was damaged from an accident and I have repaired the damage(another story). The car was running but hard to start so I replaced the battery. Before the battery was replaced the car ran but the windows and sunroof would not open. With the new battery the car will run but the windows, sunroof, central locking system, mirrors and seat adjusters don’t work. The alarm light flashes on the dash while the car is running then the alarm goes off. There is as clicking noise near the battery prior to the alarm going off.
This is crazy. The car wasn’t doing this before the battery was changed.
Can anyone help me figure this out?
If battery died with alarm in armed state after you reconnect battery lock/unlock the car from outside. Check PSE module area for water intrusion. Mounted in foam coffin between battery and door threshold.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the thing the battery didn’t die and the car alarm wasn’t armed
The security light on the dash flashes while the car is running

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disconnected the battery waited and reconnected
The alarm sounds when i open the door after reconnecting the battery. The central locking is not working the windows don’t work sunroof doesn’t work. I am I missing something.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,144 Posts
Disconnected the battery waited and reconnected
The alarm sounds when i open the door after reconnecting the battery. The central locking is not working the windows don’t work sunroof doesn’t work. I am I missing something.
If central locking is not working then you are unable to disarm alarm. Have you checked PSE pump area for water?

Using test light or volt meter connected to ground check all fuses in under seat fuse box and engine compartment fuse box.

·
Registered
1998 E320s sedan and wagon
970 Posts
Unlock the door with the blade key. Slowly turn it 3 times from vertical to unlock position. That won’t fix it, just turn of the flashing lights and clicking until it gets triggered again. At least it does on my ‘98 sedan when the alarm acts up.

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,187 Posts
:) This seems to be more like the CCM (Combination Control Module) than the PSE issue (windows, mirrors, sunroof, seats, door locks, etc.). The PSE operates the door locks but the command must come from the remote control module (RCL) and goes through the CCM.

I would check the CCM fuses first and make sure they have power. Fuses 1,2,3 in the rear and 14 and 22 at the drivers side under the hood.

What damaged after the accident ? Front ? Rear ? Left ? Right ?

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was hit on the front right where he front fender and bumper were damaged. The tie rod end was broken. The steering lock was jammed and had to be replaced. No airbags deployed. Put the car back together within the last couple 9of weeks. When I got the car back there was no problem but the battery. I bought a new battery and put it in and now I’m having problems

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
Just as I thought :). I assume the windows , sunroof, mirrors were working before the accident ?

The CCM is located in the module box by the right front fender. It is possible that due to the impact, one or more of the connectors on the CCM is loosened up, or due to damage on the fender, some rain water may have ended up in the module box ? Remove the 4 screws on the module box lid and lift the lid.

Check the module N10/1 (CCM) in figure 4 of the attached link.

STAR TekInfo

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will check on it this evening when I leave work and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After checking the connections nothing was loose. There was no water or moisture around the CCM. When I connected the battery and opened the door the alarm went off. The module next to the battery was clicking. The lights for the alarm only flashes on the right side. The module didn’t make any sound went the car was started. The car cranks up and the alarm goes off while running. Could this module next to the battery affect the windows and sunroof not working? I do remember the area where the battery is having some moisture when I took the old battery out. The driver seat moves with the controls the steering wheel doesn’t. None of the windows work or sunroof

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
The module next to the battery (PSE) was clicking because it was turning the alarm horn on and off. You could see it in the attached diagram.

I see that for your model year the seats are directly controlled by the switches, not through the CAN bus. But the steering wheel controls are done by the CCM (windows and the sunroof too).

The memory control of the seats are controlled by the CCM however as the seat memory is located in the CCM. You can test the memory seat function by pressing one of the memory buttons and confirm that they do not work.

Please confirm that the CCM fuses as specified in Post #11 are fine and they have power.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 300d | 1997 e320
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The seat memory did not work and none of the fuses appeared to be blown. What can I check to see if the ccm has power? Does the ccm control the PSE? What can be causing the alarm to trigger or not deactivate when I put the key in the ignition

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
The seat memory did not work and none of the fuses appeared to be blown. What can I check to see if the ccm has power? Does the ccm control the PSE? What can be causing the alarm to trigger or not deactivate when I put the key in the ignition
You need to access pins that go to the CCM. Follow the color code and pin numbering for fuse 3, 22 and 14 in the attached.

When you put the key in, the key has a chip in it and the code is picked up by the transponder ring around the ignition key. The code is authorized by the IR DAS module, and Authorization signal is sent to the CCM. Then the CCM sends a message to the PSE to turn the alarm off.

The CCM is made up of several functions in one module. It is possible that some of the functions are working, and some are not.

Do the courtesy door lights work when you open the door ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,187 Posts
You can try to reset it with battery disconnect / connect for 10 minutes (with radio code and window, sunroof sych info available).. You can get a used from from a Junk Yard or Ebay making sure it comes out from the same model year car. Repair ? maybe, if you can spot what the problem area is.

Here is a link that discusses how to remove the CCM. especially post #15

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1507344-help-removing-n10-1-module-2.html

1 - 20 of 69 Posts