Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I've sort of been considering a 211...but none of those. The first couple years of the 211 had higher than average problem reports.

Personally, I'd start with the 2005 and newer, then however much you can afford. The E350 showed up in 05, very nice car, which is not to denigrate the wonderful V8.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,854 Posts
Didn't 350 come to CA in 2007 ?
The only complain I recall from owners of pre-2005 models is noisier SBC pump. Otherwise they seem to be pretty happy. Would believe that they would be the first group coming here with problems if the problems would exist?
But than diesels arrived in 2005 :D

·
Registered
37,854 Posts
Or torque! Love that 369lb-ft
Looks like you are right person to ask, since you have 6-cylinder diesel and 8-cylinder gasser in the family.
In most of the brands the same cars equipped with 4-cylinder diesel will do better on high speed acceleration than 6-cylinder gasser.
Did you ever try to drive side by side with the wife and punch the throttles at 50 mph?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Just so you understand ...

The cars are identical although the 500s will have more "cool" options installed.

The engines are identical except the 500 has two more cylinders.

·
Registered
01 CLK 430 Cabriolet (His), 06 E320 CDI (Hers)
64 Posts
Looks like you are right person to ask, since you have 6-cylinder diesel and 8-cylinder gasser in the family.
In most of the brands the same cars equipped with 4-cylinder diesel will do better on high speed acceleration than 6-cylinder gasser.
Did you ever try to drive side by side with the wife and punch the throttles at 50 mph?
My Dad and I did the runs, him driving the CLK 430, and me in the CDI. Dead stop to 70ish mph, multiple runs. DEAD EVEN! I would suspect from 80 on up the gasser would win, as horsepower trumps torque at high speeds and RPM.

The gasser is much smoother and polished no matter how you slice it. Driving easy or hard, that gasser is one smooth operator.

The diesel, however, gets fantastic mileage, and should last forever. I am blessed to have both available....

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Run

from either.Neither is a reliable daily driver.Both rate at the top of the worst models in Mercedes history.Why invite trouble.Or if you have deep pockets,do you mind them getting shallow?:rolleyes:

Check out what it costs to repair an sbc,even if you never had a problem the system counts brake applications and triggers a trip to the dealer.
check out how many grey hairs you have if the sbc fails and you need to stop that thing with the back up hydro system.:eek:
A few of the issues.More can be found

Recall Reason SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Date JUN 22, 2004
Model Affected E CLASS
Potential Units Affected 143387
Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE ELECTRONIC MONITORING SYSTEM OF THE SENSOTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL (SBC) IS DESIGNED TO MONITOR THE PRESSURE GRADIENT WITHIN THE HIGH PRESSURE LINE OF THE BRAKE SYSTEM. IF AN UNACCEPTABLE PRESSURE GRADIENT IS DETECTED, THE SYSTEM WILL SWITCH, AS IT IS DESIGNED TO DO, INTO THE HYDRAULIC FUNCTION MODE.

Consequence
IF VEHICLES ARE NOT ROUTINELY SERVICED AND HAVE EXTREMELY HIGH MILEAGE COMBINED WITH A HIGH NUMBER OF BRAKE ACTUATIONS, OR A HIGH BRAKE ACTUATION FREQUENCY, THE PUMP MOTOR OF THE SBC MAY RUN OUT OF PERMISSIBLE TOLERANCES, THEREBY TRIGGERING THE HYDRAULIC FUNCTION MODE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SBC HYDRAULIC UNIT, REPLACING IT IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 21M 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

Notes
MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. 2004050014
JUL 07, 2008 | Recall ID# 45292

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
MERCEDES-BENZ IS RECALLING MY 2006-2008 M-CLASS, R-CLASS, MY 2005-2009 SLK-CLASS, MY 2005-2008 C-CLASS, MY 2003-2004 AND 2006-2008 CLK-CLASS, MY 2003-2008 E-CLASS, MY 2004 AND 2008 CL-CLASS, MY 2008 CLS-CLASS, MY 2004 AND 2007-2008 S-CLASS, MY 2003 G-CLASS, AND MY 2003-2004, 2006 AND 2009 SL-CLASS VEHICLES. A SOFTWARE CALIBRATION NUMBER (SCN) CODING RECEIVED ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES DURING A RECENT WORKSHOP VISIT WAS INCORRECT. DEPENDING ON THE MODEL YEAR AND MODEL AFFECTED, THE RESULTS OF AN INCORRECT SCN CODING CAN AFFECT A NUMBER OF VEHICLE SAFETY AND EMISSION FUNCTIONS INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF FUNCTIONS: (1) THE FUEL GAUGE READINGS MAY BE INCORRECT; (2) A STUCK FUEL-LEVEL SENSOR MAY NOT BE DISPLAYED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER; (3) THE OBD SYSTEM MAY CAUSE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO ILLUMINATE INCORRECTLY; AND, (4) THE SPEEDOMETER MAY BE OUT OF TOLERANCE....more details

JUL 07, 2008 | Recall ID# 45292
Recall Reason ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Recall Date JUL 07, 2008
Model Affected E CLASS
Potential Units Affected 404
Recall Summary
MERCEDES-BENZ IS RECALLING MY 2006-2008 M-CLASS, R-CLASS, MY 2005-2009 SLK-CLASS, MY 2005-2008 C-CLASS, MY 2003-2004 AND 2006-2008 CLK-CLASS, MY 2003-2008 E-CLASS, MY 2004 AND 2008 CL-CLASS, MY 2008 CLS-CLASS, MY 2004 AND 2007-2008 S-CLASS, MY 2003 G-CLASS, AND MY 2003-2004, 2006 AND 2009 SL-CLASS VEHICLES. A SOFTWARE CALIBRATION NUMBER (SCN) CODING RECEIVED ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES DURING A RECENT WORKSHOP VISIT WAS INCORRECT. DEPENDING ON THE MODEL YEAR AND MODEL AFFECTED, THE RESULTS OF AN INCORRECT SCN CODING CAN AFFECT A NUMBER OF VEHICLE SAFETY AND EMISSION FUNCTIONS INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF FUNCTIONS: (1) THE FUEL GAUGE READINGS MAY BE INCORRECT; (2) A STUCK FUEL-LEVEL SENSOR MAY NOT BE DISPLAYED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER; (3) THE OBD SYSTEM MAY CAUSE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TO ILLUMINATE INCORRECTLY; AND, (4) THE SPEEDOMETER MAY BE OUT OF TOLERANCE.

Consequence
IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLE CRASH, THE ELECTRICAL FUEL PUMP MAY NOT RECEIVE A CRASH SIGNAL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR THE FUEL PUMP TO DISCONNECT AND PREVENT FUTURE FUEL DELIVERY AS DESIGNED.

(That is cryptic for the car may go up in flames)

Remedy
DEALERS WILL RECODE THE SCN FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 30, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

Notes
MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. 2008 070001
APR 01, 2005 | Recall ID# 23534 Show Details

SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE SENSOTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL (SBC) SYSTEM MAY PREMATURELY SHIFT TO THE HYDRAULIC BACK-UP FUNCTION MODE, DUE TO DETERIORATION OF THE WIRING HARNESS CONNECTION, OR DUE TO PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE HYDRAULIC PUMP....more details

APR 01, 2005 | Recall ID# 23534
Recall Reason SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Recall Date APR 01, 2005
Model Affected E CLASS
Potential Units Affected 204000

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE SENSOTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL (SBC) SYSTEM MAY PREMATURELY SHIFT TO THE HYDRAULIC BACK-UP FUNCTION MODE, DUE TO DETERIORATION OF THE WIRING HARNESS CONNECTION, OR DUE TO PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE HYDRAULIC PUMP.

Consequence
IN THE HYDRAULIC BACK-UP MODE, THE DRIVER HAS BRAKING POWER SUFFICIENT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, ALTHOUGH GREATER BRAKE PEDAL PRESSURE IS REQUIRED AND THE BRAKE PEDAL TRAVEL WILL BE NOTICEABLY LONGER.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A BRACKET AND REPLACEMENT GROUND WIRE TO THE SBC PUMP UNIT ON ALL VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. ADDITIONALLY DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE SBC PUMP UNIT IN SL VEHICLES PRODUCED DURING A LIMITED PRODUCTION PERIOD. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 8, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ AT 1-800-367-6372.

Notes
MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC. 2005070007 & 2005110
AUG 07, 2003 | Recall ID# 5562

STEERING
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE NUT ON THE BOLT WHICH CONNECTS THE STEERING GEAR TO THE STEERING COUPLING MAY NOT BE TIGHTENED CORRECTLY....more details

AUG 07, 2003 | Recall ID# 5562
Recall Reason STEERING
Recall Date AUG 07, 2003
Model Affected E CLASS
Potential Units Affected 554

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE NUT ON THE BOLT WHICH CONNECTS THE STEERING GEAR TO THE STEERING COUPLING MAY NOT BE TIGHTENED CORRECTLY.

Consequence
THE LOOSENING OF THE NUT COULD RESULT IN A SLIPPING OF THE CONNECTION OVER TIME, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Great piece of work,those W211's:thumbsup:

:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
560SL, E500
110 Posts
from either.Neither is a reliable daily driver.Both rate at the top of the worst models in Mercedes history.Why invite trouble.Or if you have deep pockets,do you mind them getting shallow?:rolleyes:Great piece of work,those W211's:thumbsup: :bowdown:
EVERYONE, I believe we have someone here along the lines of our dear friend mr.xpowerseller.

Namely, someone that doesn't own a W211 (or has ever owned one according to their profile), and yet likes to share his always NEGATIVE opinions regarding W211s. This time around it's someone that owns 9 and 10 year old W210s.

Keep this in mind when reading his posts.

I believe his screen name is quite appropriate at this time: "ohlord" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,854 Posts
ohlord is a vendor for $40 dipsticks for W210 and other gadgets, so you have to understand his way of thinking.
Omitting the fact, that SBC pumps have 10-years warranty and that besides recalled plug they don't have more problems for me is simple sale pitch.
"Things the salesman will not tell you" ;)

·
Premium Member
560SL, E500
110 Posts
ohlord is a vendor for $40 dipsticks for W210 and other gadgets, so you have to understand his way of thinking.
Omitting the fact, that SBC pumps have 10-years warranty and that besides recalled plug they don't have more problems for me is simple sale pitch.
"Things the salesman will not tell you" ;)
THANKS for letting us know Bro! :bowdown:

NICE to have members like you that have been around long enough to "know certain kinds" :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
37,854 Posts
ohlord is "certain kind" for sure. Don't take my previous words too directly. He is valuable member of this forum with lot of experience. Having quite often different opinions we just like to tease each other in our discussions :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.