Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just brought a 1998 e320 and my sunroof, front interior lights and auto dip mirror don't work.

The rear interior lights work when I open the door but they don't work on the switch that is on the roof next to the sunroof switch.

The front interior lights dont work off the switch or when i open the door. Also the sunroof doesnt work. The whole panel seems dead. I have checked fuse 4 under the rear seat and it is fine.

I have no problem with any of the windows at all.

I also have quite an unusual problem with the keys. I have 3 keys with the car 2 main keys with the central locking functions and the thin flat spare key with no buttons. The two main keys unlock and lock the main doors (one better than the other). They only work from about 2 feet from the door though. Unfortunately the main keys only start the vehicle very occasionally. Although the spare key starts the car everytime. Does anyone know what could be wrong with my main keys?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have realised that it could be the overhead control unit. Is this a separate unit somewhere in the car or is this the panel itself?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Yes, when you carefully remove both plastic covers, the control unit will become apparant.

You can also subscribe to MB's EPC(electronic parts catalog) for free. Just go to the EPC web site and go through the simple registration process.

Having access to the site will be very benificial when trying to identify the correct control unit part number.

With the correct part number you can then search various sites for the best price.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for that. I tried to access EPC but it wanted an American address and im from the UK and even though i clicked free it wanted card details. I have fixed it temporarily by bashing it but i will purchase a replacement soon. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2005 e320 4matic sedan
30 Posts
Need more info

Yes, when you carefully remove both plastic covers, the control unit will become apparant.

You can also subscribe to MB's EPC(electronic parts catalog) for free. Just go to the EPC web site and go through the simple registration process.

Having access to the site will be very benificial when trying to identify the correct control unit part number.

With the correct part number you can then search various sites for the best price.

Good luck!!
Could you explain in greater detail where the control unit resides?

Thanks jb

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Sure, Once you remove(gently pry out from rear with non metalic wedge) both plastic covers, you will notice two clips located at the rear of the assy, one on the R and one on the L----together push clips forward and the module will drop out. Then all you have to do is disconnect the connectors. Be observant and notice how things are in place. Good luck!!

The replacement is just simply reversing the taking out process

·
Registered
E320 4matic, W210
7 Posts
Hi,

Seems like this problem is what I also have only in my case it seems intermittant. The weird thing is that it tends to work fine when the weather is not hot. In hot weather the panel is dead and the key doesnt respond unless pointed at door handles either side of the car. The panel may also be dead in heavy rain. Does that call for replacement?

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fixed my sunroof and light problems by removing the interior light and hitting the control box and that all works no and is fine. I still have the same key problem though

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Yes you are correct the EPC is a free one year subscription for us Yanks, you are relegated to the Russian parts site. Still a good site to learn about your car.

Regarding your cars plethora of keys, the keys broadcast on two wave lenghts Radio and IR. The IR is the short distance. In any event the strength of the batteries effect signal straight. Are your batteries current?

You can also quickly test the IR, by going inside, point the key at your phones camera and depress a feature and take a picture. Do you see a flash in the resulting pictures. If you do the IR circuit is good.

·
Registered
Too many to list
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed all the batteries but it made no difference at all. The remotes all lock and unlock the car fine. Its just that they are temperamental at starting the car, its as if the key is not recognised sometimes. The spare (flat) key always works to start the car

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I think that if you had a corrupt DAS(drive authorization) in the key or key switch you would not be able to hear the steering lock unlock and you would not be able to change the position of the key and start the car.

Is the temperamental starting(what do you mean??) issue a DAS or engine electronics issue.

PS: The DAS is very sensitive to low voltage situations, less than 11.5 volts. What is the condition of your battery??

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,581 Posts
I changed all the batteries but it made no difference at all. The remotes all lock and unlock the car fine. Its just that they are temperamental at starting the car, its as if the key is not recognised sometimes. The spare (flat) key always works to start the car
Key fob batteries would not make any difference, they are not used in starting the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts