Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/\ Sound of my engine
It doesn't sound like a valve, and their is no real random vibration feeling. My one of my cats were rattling, but that stopped so I can only guess that its clogged up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your mileage suck also? When was the last time you changed your spark plugs? Did you ever get aftermarket spark plug cables? Are/were your cats rattling? I attribute it to one of those things....

·
Registered
196 Posts
sounds like a tractor

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
You have had nothing to say about mileage on your car - if your cats "rattled then stopped' then there you are headed for diaster soon if you continue to be flippant about it, your recording does nothing for me to tell the location of the sound really..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
212000 miles and im pushing for 300000
I have the replacement CAT in hand just need to have it welded in, and as for the sound i did show where it was coming from in the video.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
What was the car temperature when you heard it? Engine cold, hot, in the process of warming up?
The reason I'm asking, is that while I never hear anything on my E320, I can also hear a similar sound on my SLK320 when the engine temperature guage is at about 80 degrees. It only clicks at a narrow engine range, cold is quiet and hot is quiet as well.. I think it's normal and just not audible in the E-class due to better sound insulation. I normally hear it when I'm parking between 2 cars which echoes the sound when the engine has only been running for 5 to 10 minutes.
Of course there is also a clicking noise from the purge valve at times, but I don't think it's quite that noisy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Normal Temperature... I really am attributing this to the Cats, I have heard It softly before, like when im parked next to a wall, just now its louder. I'm going to change the Cat and let you guys know... Just here in austin everyone wants $100 to to weld it in, freaking rip off! Back home i can get it for $20-30!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
sounds like a tractor
I think there is some seal/line/gasket in the EGR system leaking, does sound like a tractor though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So good and bad news. Good news is I finally got in touch with my ex-benz tech neighbor, bad news is he says its likely a stuck lifter do to some dirt/gunk that might be keeping the valve open, good news is that these engines are incredibly durable and it shouldn't do much there is an easy fix that may work without opening the cams. He says that poring a quart of transmission fluid into the oil and running it 100 miles should do the trick do to the better dislodging properties of transmission fluid and shouldn't harm the engine one bit, I'm due for an oil change anyway so I'm gonna try it tomorrow so I will let you all know the results - cheers, Jon (p.s. please no comments on how "stupid/idiotic" this is because I trust this man's 30 year experience [twelve with Mercedes]. good news is he also says that that our engines will last forever and that in all the time he worked on benzes he never had to replace anything to do with the pistons [rings, ect] and rarely the deepest were injectors so good news there :D)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
sounds like loud injectors to me. problem with video sound is that noise can be magnified compared to what you would hear in person.
at 212k miles i wouldn't pour anything other than engine oil in your crankcase. you could do a couple of short interval (~2k miles) oil changes with a diesel oil like delvac or rotella for a good cleaning. also run a couple tanks with a fuel injector cleaner like techron or sl-1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts