Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
105000 miles. Very well maintained. Cold starts right up at usual high rpm. If I put in reverse to back out of garage before engine lowers to 800 rpm car will shut right off. Restarts right up but I have to wait for rpm to drop to 800. Is this normal? I moved from warm climate so I never noticed this. Now I am in NJ where it gets a lot colder and now Is when it started doing this.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
Likely, it is transmission related.

1) When was the last time that the transmission is serviced (ATF drain and re-fill with ATF filter and a gasket change) ?

2) Was the conductor plate replaced (it has the ATF temperature sensor) ?

3) Was the transmission adapter plug checked ? replaced for fluid contamination ? The ATF temp sensor information is passed to the TCM when in gear (R / D). If no connection, it is deemed implausible and the TCM replaces it with some default.

4) Sticky TCC lock-up solenoid will cause a lock-up condition when not called for.

5) Water contamination in the ATF which can partially freeze and create circulation issues till thawed.

If possible, you can warm up the transmission pan with hot air, and then try it out. This can tell you, if it is transmission related or not.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,492 Posts
The computer should compensate for loads applied to the engine, so start with the basics.
-check codes
-put new filters
-if you have older spark plugs, now is good time to replace them.
-clean MAF
If that doesn't help, hook up fuel pressure gauge.

·
Registered
2000 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replys. If I let it warm up 2 minutes all is fine. Just when it's cold and I let it run till the rpm's drop,about 30 seconds and put it in reverse it stalls right out. Starts right up and let it run for 2 minutes and all is fine for the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
Thank you for your replys. If I let it warm up 2 minutes all is fine. Just when it's cold and I let it run till the rpm's drop,about 30 seconds and put it in reverse it stalls right out. Starts right up and let it run for 2 minutes and all is fine for the rest of the day.
Have you checked your battery voltage ? When the engine is cold, the secondary air pump runs for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, and it consumes about 30 amps. If the battery is strong, this is not a problem, but when it is weak, and at cold weather it can cause problems. I would have it checked, together with the charging system (alternator) at a facility that offers this service free of charge..

·
Registered
2000 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,battery voltage 12.4 standing 14.2 running. New battery from Mercedes 3 years ago. I you tubed voltage - regulator and they say it should be replaced at 100,000 miles. I agree what you are saying about the 90 seconds to 2 minutes. No problems in warm weather. Could the air pump be bad? What does it do? Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
The secondary air pump pumps air into the exhaust manifold(s) during a cold start which enriches the oxygen content in the Catalytic converters to reduce emissions during a cold start. A bad pump usually either is open-circuit, or shorted which then caused a 40 am slow blow fuse to open. So it is unlikely the problem itself, but contributes to the condition you are having when the battery is weak. One could easily check it by removing the power connector to the pump prior a cold start to see if it makes any difference. You would get an fault code (P0410) which would clear up when you replace the connector.

You wait for 2 minutes and you have no problem with car in gear, but before then if you put the car in in gear it stalls. After it stalls, if you start the car and put the car in gear IMMEDIATELY (not waiting for any time) it does not stall at all , it that it ?

How about you wait for 10 to 20 seconds with key in position 2, then start ? And cycling the key few times between position 0 and 2 and then start (possible fuel pump issue ?) ?

I assume you do not have a scanner that you can look for pending fault codes ?

·
Registered
2000 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no scanner. . If I let it run for about 2 minutes it will not stall just a dip in the RPM's. after that it's fine all day. A lot of short runs.tried putting it in gear right after second start when RPM's were still high but still stalled.Must warm up first.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
no scanner. . If I let it run for about 2 minutes it will not stall just a dip in the RPM's. after that it's fine all day. A lot of short runs.tried putting it in gear right after second start when RPM's were still high but still stalled.Must warm up first.
There is no excuse these days not to own at least basic OBDII scanner. Smart phone app Torque Pro paired with compatible BT or Wifi adapter will give piece of mind on case CEL comes on. If it is EGR fault you can drive. If it is catalyst damaging misfire you may stop and think about it.

Life data available from OBDII may help to determine possible cause of all kinds of problems.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
With no scanner, and other tools, it is hard to diagnose, as it could be several things. Your car is not the only car with 722.6 transmission that has the same symptoms as you describe. Many people reported the same problem, maybe even longer warm-up times which may be related to ambient temperature during start-ups. Some took their cars to the dealers, and most have concluded that the problem is with the torque converter lock-up. I am sure they have all the tools and gadgets to check the codes and simulate conditions.

I would suggest that you take it to an indie, and prepare to let the car sleep overnight to create the same conditions you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2000 e320
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took it for a ride . Did a wot and the thing runs like a bear. Upshifts and downshifts perfect No stutterind at red lights. I runs and shifts like a new car All fluids changed trans oil filter and plug changed about 50,000 ago. My wife drives this to work about 5 miles 3 times a day. Exhaust had a strange smell after wot then right in the garage. I am old school where you blow them out once in a while. I will disconnect the air pump when it sits overnight and see if it stalls. I am stumped

1 - 12 of 12 Posts