Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
312 Posts
Reports of CDI's in the 400k range are becoming more common.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI Obsidian Black
370 Posts
38MPG at 80MPH on the hwy. With the original Michelins, we regulary saw 44MPG at 80.
Tires making a 15.7% difference in mileage! :eek: :confused: :yelrotflmao:

That would give you a range of +900 :nono:

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
8 Posts
Resurrecting this thread?

Just purchased an 06 E320 CDI for my daughter. 297,000 miles. Original owner had it dealer serviced for the life of the car (I got the service records yay!).

Car is like new. Obviously very well maintained. Had a few issues (which I've fixed) such as a bunch of EGR cel's (Deleted the egr with a rocketchip tune. Solved!). Replaced one glow plug etc.

Great car, love the power and economy.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
947 Posts
Don't know why I never chimed in here....

453k miles on my 2005 CDI.

It's currently on the lift for it's first trans rebuild... 😜

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,297 Posts
I got a long ways to go. My CDI is only at 142K. Just gettin' broken in. :)

Apparently it was owned by a "snow-bird" couple who would travel between New Hampshire and Florida. Doesn't look like they drove around a ton once they got where they were living that season. There was some sand in the wheelwells, probably from local driving in New Hampshire snow. Car's in very good shape, though.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2010 E350 4MATIC
12 Posts
2005 CDI with 197K. Purchased from a private owner in Santa Clara CA and drove back to MI in February (2019). The vehicle is a extremely clean, rust free CA car. I got all the service records since ~25K. It runs great and starts regardless of temperature. Got 39MPG going over the mountains in AZ/NM with the cruise set at 80. Currently fixing odds and ends as well as preventative maintenance on transmission and engine. Planning on using this is the warmer months. I don't have the heart to rust out this vehicle.

Major Options:

Premium Package-Sedan
* Drive-Dynamic Multicontour Front Seats
* Entertainment Package
* DVD Navigation
* Sunroof Package-Sedan
Wood/Leather Steering Wheel
Active Ventilated Front Seats w/Heat
Leather Upholstery
Metallic Pant - Flint Gray

·
Registered
w211 e220 cdi 2005
242 Posts
W211 CDI but a four pot engine not 320. With 190'000 km has been a fantastic car in terms of durability.
Lately retrofitted the COMAND NTG 2.5, avantgarde facelift wood steering wheel, parameter steering and digital climate control.
During the 4.5 years of ownership have done:
- power steering fluid flush
-brake fluid change every 2 years
-oil changes every 9'000 km
-differencial oil change
-engine and transmission mounts
- transmission fluid change every 30'000 km
- replaced main battery and small battery under the cabin air filter

In terms of issues:
- 1 tie rod changed
- power steering pumo replaced
-steering angle sensor replaced
-2 bearings in the front suspension
-1 pulley replaced

Car has a full facelift look including front bumper,headlights, mirrors,taillights, trunk lid, facelift rear brake light, steering, gear knob.

Really enjoying the car even after this long term ownership.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
183 Posts
So, I think you can look at the sprinter community which has the OM647 for engine life. Those vehicles usually fail with a piston failure or injector. Seems like with regular maintenance they are 500-600,000 miles. It will be interesting to see if anyone here gets farther. We love our car as it's been reliable, even if we do an occasional repair.

M

·
Registered
2005 E 320 CDI
81 Posts
E320 who has the most mileage

I posted when I had 160,000 and now at 305,000. running well. Need to do pads and front wheel bearings. Original bearings. Do them at 30,000 or so. steve

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
312 Posts
So, I think you can look at the sprinter community which has the OM647 for engine life. Those vehicles usually fail with a piston failure or injector. Seems like with regular maintenance they are 500-600,000 miles. It will be interesting to see if anyone here gets farther. We love our car as it's been reliable, even if we do an occasional repair.

M
Makes sense using the OM647 as a proxy for the OM648. Basically same engine, 5 cylinders instead of 6. Sounds like 500k-600k is neither uncommon nor unreasonable.

·
Registered
947 Posts

M
Piston failure is due to severely worn out injectors injecting too much fuel and blowing a hole in a piston. fleet vehicles don't get checked for stuff like that as much as enthusiast-owned vehicles. Over fueling injectors will cause an idle imbalance and vibration, as well as strange noises on acceleration. You have to have BIGLY(lul) worn injectors to inject so much fuel that it causes hydraulicing or a combustion imbalance big enough to destroy a piston.

i shoved a bore scope down the injector hole in the head at about 450k miles to get a look at the cylinder walls....... They're polished up like a mirror, no scoring or discoloration. Being a cast iron block, i don't see that ever being the issue. i changed my timing chain at 430k miles as i was getting a little bit of a rattle for a couple seconds after startup, ended up being the tensioner. The timing chain (i shit you not) was stretched less than an eighth of an inch from end to end compared to the new chain. The guides i ended up not replacing because the wear marks in them from the chain were less than the thickness of a piece of paper. Seriously, after almost a half a million miles, the back of the chain had not even STARTED to wear into the guides yet. There was no reason for me to even pop the engine apart, let alone replace the chain.

This is such a remarkable engine.

·
Registered
2006 E320
17 Posts
mileage

Wife.s 06 E320 CDI. Drove from Atlanta to visit daughter in Columbia, SC - pulled up in her driveway and car said 42mpg. Did not use air.
I couple of years ago I checked what it said against actual fuel put in - it showed .1 mpg less than what I put in tank - so I guess its pretty close.

I just drove from Atlanta to Chattanooga and car said 43.8. Again no AC.

125k miles -glow plugs 2x and thermostat. I am afraid to take it back to dealer - don't want them to mess with it.

Now if I get mad and floor it because of some idiot - forget the mileage,

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,297 Posts
@lutronjim, do you recall how fast you were going on that trip, generally? It does seem to be less at, say, 80 mph than at, say, 60 mph.

·
Registered
2006 E320
17 Posts
About 2/3 of trip were not interstate - I hate 18 wheelers trying to kiss my trunk. Speed limit in Ga is 55 so I run at 62 on cruise - hoping police protection will not be too stick. The other is interstate and I run at 78.

·
Registered
Current:84 300SD 99 SL500 05 E320CDI 01 E320 Past:79 300D 80 240D 92 400E 98 SLK230 96 E320
77 Posts
I was extremely excited when I ran across my 05 with 95,000 miles . It was a one owner lovingly maintained car with no expense spared by the previous owner. I’ve had the car for seven months and it just turned 102,000. As for the longevity I really have no concern. The shop that does my work has a customer with three of these cars. The high mileage car has 575,000 miles on it and shows no signs of slowing down.

·
Registered
947 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
262 Posts
... So, I told her I could drive this one for 300,000 miles - does that sound realistic? ...

Anyone out there with more than 200K miles on theirs?
Yep. 320K and still running strong. Kept up maintenance and fixed the black death. Rebuilt the tranny valve body once.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If taken care of, the car will outlive you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to me...

After looking for a CDI for a few months , I finally found one with some electrical gremlins but low miles . 62000 and also in very nice cosmetic shape. I's kind of a BMW guy but this CDI had me intrigued.

·
Registered
947 Posts
After looking for a CDI for a few months , I finally found one with some electrical gremlins but low miles . 62000 and also in very nice cosmetic shape. I's kind of a BMW guy but this CDI had me intrigued.
Let us help you squash your Gremlins. whats the issues?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts