Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I brought back to life an older thread asking some questions but figured I would start a new one. I plan on heating the car up fully and then going at it. I do not have a slide hammer or puller tool. am I crazy??I being this up because I do not keep the engine cover or foam pad on top of the engine so I feel like I caught this pretty early. I can see just a tad bit of seepage on #3. I have some slight discoloration around that injector. it is not black death or hardened black tar level. I feel liek with some manipulation I can get it out. Rossafuss mentioned he uses a screwdriver along with the clamp hole and is able to pry them out with the addition of brake/carb cleaner. I will go this route.

tips on cleaning once injector is out and tips along the way would be appreciated. Also for thos ethat have done this before

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
199 Posts
It sounds like you are at a similar place as one of my cars. I leave the foam in- and check for bypass gas on the foam at every oil change. I don't think you'll have much of an issue. It's when you let the leak go- you get alot of combustion between the injector and head. Doing it hot does give thermal expansion as your friend.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok guys injector came right out. I have a question regarding the top of the injector bore. There seems to be a thin rubber or silicone gasket or seal that fits in a thread at the top of the bore. Mine is partially hanging out and not sealed tight at all. Is there a part number for this? Is this important or can I do without?

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I believe this is what I need. It did not come out with the injector, rather stayed in its place in top of the bore. But its shot. Half of it is just hanging there. Obviously this will slide on the injector before I re-install it Id imagine?? TIA for the replies guys.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I believe you are correct Lego. I would slide this on the injector and then insert into bore and clamp down correct? It will seat itself or put itself in the correct place for lack of better words??

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
199 Posts
No! It goes between the head and valve cover to seal oil from leaking into the injector bores. It's an R&R valve cover to replace seal. Perhaps it's not critical as the injector seals the top with a copper washer.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is what I’m taking about at the top of the injector bore. Maybe its just build up and I'm mistaking it for something its not.
B3F46764-6147-4F3B-B5BC-ACFA0BDC1801.jpeg

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a picture I stole of a bore cleaned out. I don't see any seal in the top at all.
1574445802136.png

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
957 Posts
that seal is part of the gasket that presses into the valve cover, i would buy a new gasket kit and reseal the valve cover, at this age if its never been done, its definitely a good idea. Also a good excuse to ream the injector sealing surface in the head and reseal with a new washer while you're in there. ;)

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well all is back together and working as should. fingers crossed. No leaks as of yet and its on day two. I did not remove the valve cover and replace those seals. I left as was and put injector back in with new copper washer and clamp bolt. I gotta admit the job the hardest part of the job was the cleaning. The injector popped right out once clamp came loose. thanks Rossafuss for deep creep idea. I did not need any special tools like a slide hammer or the Injector bore kit sold on amazon. I bought 3 different brush kits, some choke/carb cleaner, wire brush, and an air gun with a long skinny extension. Flooding holes with cleaner, cleaning, and then blowing them out worked best for me. Looks like #4 injector is next as it looks wet as well.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
13 Posts
that seal is part of the gasket that presses into the valve cover, i would buy a new gasket kit and reseal the valve cover, at this age if its never been done, its definitely a good idea. Also a good excuse to ream the injector sealing surface in the head and reseal with a new washer while you're in there. ;)
Hey Rossafuss. I don't to intrude on this thread, but I've tried a few times to email you through this forum regarding both the steering proportioning valve rebuild I thought you mentioned you did before, but no luck getting a hold of you. And, I had a question about the turbo core source for the OM0648 motor. Is it different than the bluetec turbo's you replaced? Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
957 Posts
No problem! I sometimes miss PM's since I dont get mobile notifications for them. I no longer rebuild those SPS solenoids since brand new OEM ones have come down significantly in cost, can't really justify the man hours involved in the process anymore.

I have no idea if the 642 turbo cores are different than the 648. My gut feeling is yes they are different, but I'm really not sure. You'd have to compare part numbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
13 Posts
Appreciate it. Factory still $350+. I see aftermarket/Chinese ones for $40. I may try my luck for that price difference! Had any luck with the Chinese? Or heard they work?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts