Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The high pressure fuel pump on my 06 E320 CDI is leaking. Haven't yet investigated the exact point of the leak...hopefully tomorrow.

Repair is above my pay grade....indie will need to do the job.

Is resealing the pump a good option? If so, what sort of labor is involved? Indie charges $130 and hour.

Best price I can find on a new pump is around $1100-1200. Are reman pumps available? If so what might I expect to pay?

Disappointing major expense...oh well.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,005 Posts
Check bolts behind the pump, usually they are just loosen.

There is a good pictorial thread (if pics still work) somewhere on forum about changing seals of CR3 type pump. Resealing is always 'blind shot' because you really can't be sure where the actual leak is and is it sealable.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know about loose bolts....will check.

I guess my worst-case scenario is to get the pump rebuilt by the local Bosch shop.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI *black on black with nearly every option*
991 Posts
I rebuilt my CP3 pump on my CDI. Unfortunately, my issue was a worn out pump that i was HOPING was just a worn out internal seal. turned out to be severely worn check valve seats that no longer sealed correctly. I replaced mine with a reman unit the local diesel specialty shop had in stock. was about $650 if memory serves.
The rebuild kits for these pump are essentially just O-rings and a couple lip seals. its not terribly hard to rebuild yourself, just DON'T pull the rotor assembly out of the pump. its hard to get back in without specialized tools, and its not necessary for any reason.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were to tighten the bolts by myself, should I be able to do so with everything in place? Anyone know torque values offhand?

Good excuse to buy a reverse torx set, I guess....

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2010 E350 4MATIC
15 Posts
I recently had to replace the high pressure pump supply hoses on my CDI. There was a strong fuel odor from the front of the engine. The return hose was so hard is broke in my hands. My local MB dealer said this is a common problem they see with Sprinters. They told me I was lucky I didn't pump gallans of fuel on the engine. If you end up rebuilding the pump, I would recommend replacing the supply hoses if they are the orgional.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thought about replacing supply hoses.

Interestingly, the local Bosch shops don't rebuild these....so, if I replace the pump, I'll be paying full fare...which is OK.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
91 Posts
I just replaced mine earlier this year. I bought a reman unit and it worked great. Save yourself some $$$. sounds like you aren't doing the job yourself so don't get screwed on labor. It's not a complicated job and should not take more than a couple hours at most. Especially in an experienced shop. I did mine myself. Good idea to have those fuel lines replaced that run back to the fuel filter and the T just before it. go to local auto store and pick up matching sized lines. You don't need any special high pressure stuff just the regular fuel line is fine. mine were rock hard and splitting leaking fuel all over. As for the pump there are many videos on youtube to watch but basically the inner seals over time go bad and fuel starts leaking from the top of the pump where it meets the engine. link below is a good price on a reman unit that will work for our cars. I got mine online at a site I cant remember unfortunately for 460$. fell free to search. Just throw the part number in google and look away. Rebuilding the pump is not worth it IMO. the labor time involved in taking it apart and replacing everything makes it a no brainier. just replace the pump and be done with it.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,205 Posts
Hate when discussion goes about replacing worn parts and nobody tells the mileage.
Rule of thumb says that when you have 1/2 million km on the engine and issues with high-pressure pump, you don't mess with old pump anymore, just put new one in.
Rebuilding those pumps in US is tricky issue. Not too many shops doing diesels to start with and only handful rebuilders, who mostly work on Sprinter engines.
That engine was not mounted on Sprinters, so finding reputable rebuild shop will be very hard.
Also notice that MB USA has strange selling strategy, where they will sell new units as rebuild, only to clean the market from old stuff.
If you are buying part from dealer, ask sell person what exactly is it.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can get a rebuilt pump for around $500 online...but who knows who rebuilt it?

I can get for $1138 from dealer...price through indie would be around $1200 plus tax. Probably make most sense for him to source the part so that the repair has a warranty.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
91 Posts
Many reputable shops out there. Nothing wrong with a rebuilt pump form a legit source. Off of eBay is fine. Use PayPal with a credit card and you are protected from a bad transaction. Up to you in the end but know many including myself who have gone that route with no issues. The link I gave you , the seller partscontainer is legit. I use him all the time and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
plenty of ppl which rebuild CP3 bosch pumps in the usa. Shouldn't be a big deal or expense. If you've got a lot of miles, perhaps find a low-mile core to re-seal. Plenty of wrecked 320cdi out there for parts. If you cannot find something resonable, the parts are uber cheap from the UK wrecking yards.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'll probably take the plunge with a reman....I'd save about $700....worth taking a little risk for that kind of money.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reman pump arrived today. Got it from the Ebay store of Newparts.com. Looks perfect....indie will install next week.

Was glad I didn't have to pay a core charge....so I'll get the old pump back. Wonder what it's worth to people who rebuild these things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts