Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
It depends who you ask ...

I'm a frustrated Mercedes Diesel fan hoping the E Class 4Matic wagon will eventually be brought to these shores by stubborn MB of North America. :mad:

Anyway, if given the opportunity I would go for the Bluetec. I just had had the opportunity to test drive a new GL 350 Bluetec at the dealer. I cannot describe my amazement at how nicely that vehicle drives - there's a lot of power (torque) on tap for any traffic situation that it is almost hard to believe this is a 3.0 liter Diesel on a 5500 lbs. AWD vehicle! That's 1500 lbs more than an E Class wagon.

I hope that gives you some idea of how an E Class Bluetec should drive. :)

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
The W212 4matc wagon is headed here in diesel form. MB finally gave in and should be importing for the 2012 models.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Motorweek TV show in their news portion of the show.

However they have not always been accurate, but they said that MBUSA was going to
submit sample cars to the feds for testing.

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
That would be awesome, I just hope they will bring both the rear wheel drive and the 4Matic. I really don't need an AWD car in Atlanta ( it rubs HP and you get worse MPG ).

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Diesel wagon...oh that may push me over the edge for a 2011/12!

Keep the AWD, waste of power and efficiency...that's why I carry chains and have ASR/ESP.

.1% of owners will actually ever use the capability of an AWD car.

Even with our SUV's its a waste, have never needed it, even in the mountains with snow and ice in the middle of winter, had they offered a 2WD version of the ML/GL we'd own them.

If things get that bad, snow tires and chains!

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
I live in very hilly farm and rural area. The county plow trucks just can not keep up.
The open farm fields adjacent to all the roads allow for a prolific amount of drifting
across the entire road. Even days after a snow fall. So I love the AWD system. I am
willing to give up a tad of HP and MPG for the winter safety and that is even on Nokian
tires.
That is not to say I could not get by on RWD only. Just that I would have chains on from
the end of November to March/April. The roads are that unpredictable here.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Currently the only available wagon is 4Matic and if/when the diesel version comes (don't hold your breath) I'd bet it will be 4Matic, too.

Each and every drivetrain combination requires the very expensive EPA certification process, and since Mercedes feels the heavier wagons require a different rear axle ratio, that makes it a separate drivetrain. 4WD vs 2WD are separate drivetrains, too. MBUSA simply is not going to certify three new drivetrains for potential wagon owners.

Given that BMW has stopped exporting 5-series wagons to USA and Volvo no longer sells wagons here either (can you imagine?) again I wouldn't hold my breath. In fact I think it's a near miracle the W212/E350 gasoline wagon for 2011 is available here. I know for sure my dealer has not had a new wagon as an unsold stock vehicle in years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts