Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Few days ago, I found my car is leaking from two places , one is under the engine, and the other one is close to the engine too.

I don't really know is the gear leaking or both leaks are from the engine.

Moreover, I never noticed anything strange, the cars is running fine, and the gear is shifting normally. My car is only 129000 Kilometers.

Is that normal and I should ignore it ? or I have to fix it otherwise there will be problems in future.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
are you seeing oil drips on the ground, or just the oil pan or other parts coated with oil? if possible take a picture of the affected areas. a very common oil leak on your engine (m104) is front timing cover, but it's just an external oil leak and it is harmless. resealing timing cover is fairly simple and quick (~1 hour) job, but no need to do unless leak gets worse and drips oil on the ground or hot exhaust parts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the first place of leak I just see few drips, and in the second which is behind it ( near the gear ) i see less drips . Also, there is other parts coated with oil ( from the engine to the gear ). I will upload a pic tomorrow, so the drips will be more noticeable.

Also I think that I have the new transmission 722.6 ( 1 2 3 4 > D )

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
the picture will definitely help. i wonder if you are seeing oil at the bottom of oil pan and from rear main seal. hopefully you are not seeing tranny fluid leaking. will know tomorrow when you post a pic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
check your fluid levels ... usually leaks start slow and then drip onto the bottom covers for a while before falling to the ground... so the leak may have started a while back .

The good news is ur car is running smooth... just post pics and see that your fluid levels are at recommended levels (Gear and engine oil)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think tirona was asking about a pic of the engine area(s) where you see the oil. I have had 2, rear main seal and valve covers.
Is this rare or common on 1999 E320 for rear main seal to leak?
My dealer is telling me to keep an eye on this since they saw a little of oil around that area. I have no drips on the floor at all...hopefully it is not the rear main seal starting to go bad. They told me that would be a big job.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
My dealer is telling me to keep an eye on this since they saw a little of oil around that area. I have no drips on the floor at all...hopefully it is not the rear main seal starting to go bad. They told me that would be a big job.
it's normal, don't worry. in most mb's sooner or later the rear main seal area will appear wet, but as long as is not dripping oil on the ground it's okay. in my e320 the rear main seal area has been wet for as long as i remember having the car, which is almost 10 years but never dripping oil from there.
in case you start seeing the area getting wetter, you might consider using a high mileage oil with seal conditioners in order to stop the leak like mobil1 high mileage 10w30 or 10w40, which can easily handle the fss.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I don't know how common the rear main seal is, all I know is that the dealer told me I had one and it was fixed under the CPO warranty. It shouldn't be that big of a job because they fixed mine and it only took them about 2 hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts