Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2000 E320 4matic wagon. Owner mentioned rear differential was replaced due to rear wheel lock up. Is the rear differential unique to the 4matic wagon? Are there any numbers to look for? The car has a vibration around 25-35mph, I'm thinking there's a driveshaft issue or could there be something else? The car was serviced by an independent shop.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
It is a good idea to speak with that shop and/or have them perform a pre-purchase inspection for you. That shouldn't cost much and those are always a good investment. It's good to know that the current owner is trying to be up front about the service history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted the independent shop. I don't think they were not the right people to work on this car. The answer I received about the rear end fix was that they swapped the old unit with another used unit. They didn't know if it was from a 4matic wagon or a regular w210 car. As for the low speed vibration they don't have a clue, but the owner mentioned it started after the differential repair.

Is the gear ratio for the w210 E320 the same or is it different for a wagon?
I'm still thinking the vibration might be driveline related.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts